Rental Truck Vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly don't condone it, but I would be surprised if there were NOT this kind of petty vandalism from the rental trucks on Bonaire. On Bonaire, the rental trucks are ubiquitous. Every local knows the trucks they see at dive sites are rented by visitors and that the trucks are either insured or the responsibility of some presumably well-heeled foreigner. There is no doubt a population of youth of very modest means with a lot of time on their hands. I can almost see the logic going through their minds that people who paid thousands of dollars for a vacation--a mind boggling amount to them--will somehow manage to deal with a stolen gearshift knob.

This is different from towns where many of us live in which there are not large concentrations of rental vehicles, and it would be difficult for would-be thieves to determine whether a vehicle is rented by a visiting businessperson or owned by someone they'd rather avoid stealing from. It's well known that rental vehicles are targets in the US and everywhere else in the world, and for this reason rental companies often no longer place any identifying markings on their vehicles. I suspect that if there were a large concentration of rental vehicles identified as such here in Atlanta sitting in relatively isolated parking lots they would be routinely vandalized. I've had my windows smashed here multiple times by thieves who took a couple of CDs or the coins I keep for tolls. (I no longer leave anything in view--not even a gym bag or towel.)

Given the unique conditions on Bonaire, with rental trucks parked all over the relatively isolated shore dive sites, maybe it's a credit to the morals of Bonaireans that there is not MORE of such petty vandalism.

I think it's just as likely that one of the trucks besides you was driven by some d-bag tourist who thought it would be funny to do that.

Instead of putting time and effort into thieving, an enterprising, strong and energetic young person could make a mint on tips by carrying tanks up and down 1000 steps !! Unfortunately, petty theft has become a lifestyle and unless something is done to deter it nothing is going to change.

stealing from tourists on an island that depends on tourism is an unfortunate past time. authorities not doing anything about it is outright stupid. as others have pointed out, it would not take much to take care of the problem. there is no doubt that this costs Bonaire a significant amount of tourist dollars - way more than it would cost to take care of the problem. Our family of four divers has not been going back to bonaire because of this not-so charming aspect of the local culture. plenty of other places where filing police reports and lugging all your belongings with you on each dive are not part of your typical vacation.

Unless one is staying on properties with gates and guards, I can't think of anywhere in the less-developed parts of the tropical world--the places I enjoy visiting--that do not present a similar theft hazard to visitors.

This thread is taking a turn toward what has been discussed in numerous other threads. As I've said in other threads, I think the reports of petty theft are more frequent in Bonaire due to the unique situation of shore diving from rental trucks. I can't speak to whether more serious theft is worse in Bonaire than similar places, though I have seen the police report logs linked to in other threads.

Unless one is staying on properties with gates and guards, I can't think of anywhere in the less-developed parts of the tropical world--the places I enjoy visiting--that do not present a similar theft hazard to visitors.

This thread is taking a turn toward what has been discussed in numerous other threads. As I've said in other threads, I think the reports of petty theft are more frequent in Bonaire due to the unique situation of shore diving from rental trucks. I can't speak to whether more serious theft is worse in Bonaire than similar places, though I have seen the police report logs linked to in other threads.

I can't think of a single other destination where every single trip report or advice includes the warnings to leave nothing and leave windows down. Everything about Bonaire has that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Leaving nothing of value in your car is common sense for pretty much anywhere. Our local PD even puts stickers on the gas pump and signs around town..as well as prints flyers as such:

http://www.jupiter.fl.us/documentcenter/view/253

So is the rub that you leave the doors unlocked and windows down? It rarely rains there so it is not a big deal. Actually it is kind of nice not to have to lock the doors.

I have had a lot worse things happen at US tourist destinations, that is for sure.

Leaving nothing of value in your car is common sense for pretty much anywhere. Our local PD even puts stickers on the gas pump and signs around town..as well as prints flyers as such:

http://www.jupiter.fl.us/documentcenter/view/253

So is the rub that you leave the doors unlocked and windows down? It rarely rains there so it is not a big deal. Actually it is kind of nice not to have to lock the doors.

I have had a lot worse things happen at US tourist destinations, that is for sure.

Most suggest leaving nothing visible, not emptying your car at every stop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

We almost exclusively dive in the "less-developed parts of the tropical world". (I would argue that Bonaire is actually quite developed by tropical world standards but that is another topic all together). Generally rental cars are readily identifiable in these areas. I have not been to any other place where it was common practice, much less recommended by rental car companies, to leave your car unlocked and windows down because theft was essentially an accepted part of their culture. many tropical areas will have extremely harsh penalties for theft as opposed to Bonaire's cavalier attitude toward the problem.They will also have a police presence to ensure that tourists do not become easy prey to thieves. Obviously, Bonaire does not care and many divers are fine with the inconveniences this brings, especially since violent crime is generally absent. I just find it a shame. I love the place, it costs them a lot of money in lost tourist dollars, and it wouldn't take much to address the issue effectively.

Sorry to learn of yet another incidence of this. The OP was playing the game according to local rules and still lost. Mid-afternoon vandalism at Aquarius is a bold move due to open space and frequent traffic. I agree with previous comments that the police need to step up their game. In the 20+ weeks I've spent shore diving on Bonaire I've NEVER seen a police car patrolling the shore dive areas. I've seen a few private security vehicles, but have been told these are hired by property owners and are not tasked with monitoring for vehicle theft or vandalism.

When we first started visiting back in the mid 90's the problem was mostly smash and grab of bags and wallets etc. Then spare tires and jacks started disappearing. Things have noticeably worsened since the economic changes associated with the 10-10-2010 change in island government. Now some divers are returning to find wheels, batteries, gasoline, and misc parts gone from their vehicles. Local police response and prevention efforts have been apathetic by most accounts. The locals are victims too, and are also greatly frustrated by this.

There are a lot of places to dive in the carib and pacific besides Bonaire so chances are we will not be returning any time soon. Maybe this is why business is down and several restaurants have closed and those still open have raised their prices 30-50%...........or is it the decimation from the lion fish? or Uniteds cancelation of the redeye last dec?????? Shore diving capital of the world or truck vandalizing capital of the world? We have our answer..........

I understand your frustration, but think some of these claims aren't based on fact. There's nowhere else in the Caribbean, or anywhere in the world that I know of, where you can dive 60+ named and managed shore dive sites in the space of 15 or so miles. Tourism business on the island is increasing rather than decreasing, much to my dismay and sorrow. Many new restaurants have opened to take the place of those that closed. Most increases in food prices reflect increased costs of energy, transportation, goods, and services due to both local and worldwide economic changes. United and Delta have both added additional flights recently, and neither are suspending fall flights for the 2nd year in a row. Local officials are discussing where to build a new airline passenger terminal, as it's obvious the current terminal is at capacity now. Cruise ship traffic, which was almost nonexistent 15 years ago, continues to grow. Bonaire's tourism bureau just announced that Carnival cruise ships will begin visiting Bonaire next year, increasing cruise ship traffic on Bonaire to 250,000 people per year. Bonaire is experiencing growing pains and crime seems to be part of that.

I think it's just as likely that one of the trucks besides you was driven by some d-bag tourist who thought it would be funny to do that.

I think you're wrong and can't fathom why you'd propose this as a plausible reason for what occurred. Comments like this indicate that you don't understand life on Bonaire very well, much less your fellow d-bag divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom