Replacing trunk floor in SUV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would remove the deck and trace it on a sheet of 3/4 marine grade plywood cut it out and sand edges. You could then carpet it or put rubber on it. Hope this helps. I’m planing on doing this to my Crv when it’s time for it.

¾" would be serious overkill. ½" is a better size. It's not spanning a 6' gap, just covering the spare tire well.
If it wasn't for the dive gear, just fixing up a car normally, I would say use ¼" or 5mm. So ½" is already doubling up what would normally be the fix.

You know, I've thought about using something like a washing machine drain pan that would look tidy, be fairly strong, and keep water from seeping below.

It is a bit more expensive, but Weathertech offers trunk mats that will contain a limited amount of water. I would probably go with that, but I honestly don't get much water in the trunk as I keep my wet gear in one of the plastic tubs, which goes in the back seat. So the tanks aren't that wet. Nissan just went for a much lighter material, likely to make it easier to handle for people with lower arm strength.

¾" would be serious overkill. ½" is a better size. It's not spanning a 6' gap, just covering the spare tire well.
If it wasn't for the dive gear, just fixing up a car normally, I would say use ¼" or 5mm. So ½" is already doubling up what would normally be the fix.

I am going to match the size of the existing trunk floor thingy. I think just going to plywood will help, whatever they used is pretty flimsy.

The Weathertech cargo area mat is fabulous. I have one in my Escape. The factory is in the Chicago area and I got mine there. Worth every penny.

Weathertech has treated me right, just over a month before I wrecked by 2016 Nissan Rogue, I bought their window shade set for it. I called them up, I think it was like two weeks after the return period ended. They still let me trade it in for one for my 2021, no charge what so ever.

Another option if there is a chance of taking your Rogue places it might get stuck is (hypothetically speaking of course..) is buying traction boards to place in the back to provide support for your tanks with side benefit of getting unstuck.. (I can't speak to the Rogue dimensions but the Maxtrax mkII signature boards just barely fit in the back of a RAV4 from left to right).

Have you checked to see if they make a factory floor for this? My ‘22 soul didn’t come with the floor but my ‘15 did, I started off with some 1/2” exterior plywood but ended up buying the factory replacement.

Have you checked to see if they make a factory floor for this? My ‘22 soul didn’t come with the floor but my ‘15 did, I started off with some 1/2” exterior plywood but ended up buying the factory replacement.

Nothing on Google, just the factory part that buckled after a year.

Nothing on Google, just the factory part that buckled after a year.
Looking on line I see a two piece replacement and it looks like they slide into guides, you may be able to make something to stiffen them, I use the sound with the rear seat folded for diving, and the replacement floor works great and is fairly flat, easily hauls tanks and lead and all the other crap needed for cold water diving for two people. Maybe the two piece replacement is more ridged??

the plywood can do the same thing if fitted right.

Back
Top Bottom