Required weight with a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everybody for the interesting replies and the suggestions! What bothers me the most about the 32lbs of weight is the absence of information about such issues at the dive stores/ manufacturers websites, when they present both trilaminate and compressed neoprene drysuits. I have tried a trilam. DUI last week, and needed only 24lbs, which to my eyes demonstrates that compressed noprene drysuits are extremely buoyant indeed. Sort of obvious, but I admit I did not think of it when I made my choice. At the time, the argument was that compressed neoprene is tougher and less likely for instance to get punctured on a wreckdive. I am not so sure any longer!

Interestingly, most people in europe seem to dive with compressed neoprene drysuits. It is to the extent that brands like Scubapro and Mares have several models of those, that cannot be found in the US.

Re the ``bragging rights for those using less weight'' I certainly have learned over the years how misplaced those are. Only a month ago, I got paired on a dive boat with a friendly buddy who baffled me by making her safety stop at 30ft and then shot to the surface in what seemed like 2 seconds, explaining happily later that ``she could not hold it at the end of a dive when above 30ft''!!! I recommended strapping 4lbs more, which allowed her to make a SAFE second dive that day.

having just transitioned to dry last year.. I only use 2lbs more in my shell suit than I used with a 7ml Suit and 7mil hooded vest. (22Lbs Total) Having said that, with warmer undergarments I need to keep the suit fairly tight to hold a stop (not uncomfortable, but a bit more air would be warmer.) I'm planning to add 2 lbs more on my earlier dives this year to see how it helps. You may find you can drop weight and corresponding air from your suit... but you may not want to depending on the impact....

When I dive dry (http://www.waterproof-gear.com/draco.asp) with a high density neoprene suit I usually wear around 30 lbs with a 119cf steel tank. I know that I can lost a little weight if I went with shell style dry suit but I like being warm especially with diving in Pacific NW.

4mm compressed neoprene suit here, 32 lbs needed when using a steel rental. I am looking forward to buying a steel HP 119 myself...

Say, how do you like that Draco?

I'm 6'5", about 215 on a "fat day"...lol. When I dive my O'Neill 7mm neoprene drysuit + 7mm hood + 5mm gloves it takes about 34lbs of lead to sink me up here in the chilly PNW. (12lb belt, 10lbs in trim in the back of the Black Diamond, 12lbs in ditchable weight up front) This is while diving an AL80. If I dive a LP95, I shed about 4lbs of the ditchable weight.

Cheers,
Austin

jullian_pdx:
When I dive dry with a high density neoprene suit I usually wear around 30 lbs with a 119cf steel tank. I know that I can lost a little weight if I went with shell style dry suit but I like being warm especially with diving in Pacific NW.

This isn't intended to be the type of misdirected bragging that is pointed out above, but I am 6' 2" and 180. I dive dry with a DUI TLS350, 200g Thinsulate, a layer of fleece, and a layer of capilene. With a steel 119 on a steel backplate I need ZERO lead. How can it be that I need 20-30lbs LESS weight that what people above are saying they need.

In fact, I feel like I'm still 2-3lbs heavy based on the fact that I'm still negative at safety stops at 15' and 10' with 500psi in my tank with no problem.

What am I doing wrong?

:D

Technically speaking...you need 6lbs. :wink: (The weight of the SS backplate..or thereabouts) Let's account for my extra 28lbs then. Let's say 6lbs for the difference between my AL80 and your steel 120. Down to 22 then. Let's say 4 for our body weight differential (your 180 to my 215). Down to 18. That would be my neoprene vs. your shell. My BC vs. the weight of your actual harness (minus the backplate). And my "air layer" size vs. however big you want yours to be...:wink:.

Cheers,
Austin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom