Retired officer drowns - Alberta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a tough one for many of us. It's been a very difficult year personally. I'm sure everyone shares their condolences.

From the Edmonton Journal today-

RCMP confirmed Monday the identity of a scuba diver who drowned over the weekend as recently retired RCMP Staff Sgt. Russell Gillespie.

Gillespie, 55, had been scuba diving with a friend Saturday at Twin Lakes campground when he experienced distress underwater, possibly because of an equipment failure, RCMP said. His body was recovered Sunday.
Three recreational divers “played an instrumental role” in finding Gillespie, RCMP said.
Gillespie had retired on July 15 and was most recently posted at the Northwest Regional Review Services department as the commanding officer in charge for RCMP K Division.

The 3 recreational divers mentioned include an AUC board member.

The Edmonton Journal talks about an equipment failure. One of the first articles sounded like it was talking about a regulator failure.

If these are true, then sadly this was an avoidable tragedy. The redundancy plan would have involved one of;
- not being in a position to expect help and therefore carrying your own spare equipment (pony, doubles, side mount, rebreater bailout, etc).
- expecting your buddy to carry your emergency gas supply and to be within suitable reach if the dive went pear shaped.

Is it possible to confirm what the press is saying?

Addendum: it's also possible from what's been said that he was on a rebreather and didn't realize he needed to switch to bailout gas. Avoidable, but for reasons other than redundancy/ buddy planning.

Last edited:
Addendum: it's also possible from what's been said that he was on a rebreather and didn't realize he needed to switch to bailout gas. Avoidable, but for reasons other than redundancy/ buddy planning.

You people kill me. You see hoofprints and think "penguin".

No it wasn't a rebreather. No it wasn't because the buddy system broke down. Yes I heard the details. No I won't divulge them here. Yes I am done with this thread.

Sad news indeed. Have to agree with Nadwidny that speculation doesn't do anything but piss people off. If theres anything to learn from I'm sure it will be forthcoming when the investigation has been completed.

You people kill me too. You enter the Accidents and Incidents forum where speculation is permissible (so long as it is not portrayed as fact) and you crap all over those SB members who are using this forum in an acceptable and respectful way. No one has spoken ill of the victim - they have just speculated as to the cause of the accident. Man up. Don't like it? Go elsewhere - perhaps the Passings forum. Think a post is inappropriate? Report that post.

No it wasn't a rebreather.

Thanks for the information.

No it wasn't because the buddy system broke down.

Curious wording - are we to assume that there was a buddy, or that the buddy system didn't break down because there was no buddy?

Yes I heard the details. No I won't divulge them here.

Have any facts you'd like to share? Please share them. The point of the A&I forum is to learn from the misfortune of others.

Yes I am done with this thread.

No it wasn't a rebreather. No it wasn't because the buddy system broke down. Yes I heard the details. No I won't divulge them here. Yes I am done with this thread.

Wow every post is either aimed at chest thumping for the AUC or being offensive (knowledge is power I guess). I realize that this hit close to home, but still. . .

Anyway here are the few facts we do know;
- based on Brian's post the diver was on open circuit.
- the Edmonton journal claims equipment failure occurred.
- the Edmonton journal claims it was a breathing emergency that was equipment related (yet to be confirmed).
- if the bottom is stirred up, the water becomes mud.
- The water was cold.
- the depth mentioned for the site of 90ft + is comfortably within recreational limits.

If the journal is to be believed (which is a big assumption for most scuba related articles) I am battling to imagine a single breathing emergency that is equipment failure related that is not covered by redundancy planning and a calm application of the relevant skills to deal with the emergency.

Based upon the deafening silence I am beginning to think that the buddy system didn't break down because there was no buddy, either deliberately or by circumstance.

If the journal is to be believed
No, we can't take news stories as factual. It's just what we get for discussion, and accidents are discussed. Some would prefer they not be discussed but that's not natural.

Sometimes we get facts from people who know, sometimes the facts are not known, sometimes they are withheld. We generally end up discussing our best guesses and what-ifs in hoping of learning more safety from that.

Recoveries are very hard on the involved divers, and sometimes we can be supportive of them here. Depends. It sounds like there is an attempt to control everything locally.

It sounds like there is an attempt to control everything locally.

That appears to be commonplace in this/my locale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom