Reverse Sinus Block - OWIE!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear,

Speaking of spectacular dives....Er....I noticed after your first post on this subject the use of "Tomorrows dives".

IMHO if you are experiencing reverse block, lay off the diving until your sinus is better. You can really bouger up your sinus if you persist. You can get upper lip and tooth paresthesia, nose bleeds, and chronic sinus problems.

Cave Diver, I just can't resist...
I have to disagree with this. I've found a technique for clearing reverse blocks that works quite well for me. If I stop and turn the ear causing me pain towards the bottom and the clearer ear towards the surface, after a moment or two it will usually *pop* then clear as the trapped air seeks equilibrium. If both ears are causing a problem I just alternate.

Well...I have to disagree with this. I've found a technique for clearing morning uglies...you know when you wake up and you can't figure out if your face or your other end is uglier...If I stop and turn my uglier part toward the mirror and the prettier part away, put my thumb in my mouth and blow, after a moment or two it will usually *pop* then clear as the trapped ugliness seeks equilibrium. If both parts are ugly, I just alternate.

Larry Stein :wink:

Hey...I deserve any punishment you want...just couldn't resist.

Laurence Stein DDS:
Snowbear,

Speaking of spectacular dives....Er....I noticed after your first post on this subject the use of "Tomorrows dives".

IMHO if you are experiencing reverse block, lay off the diving until your sinus is better. You can really bouger up your sinus if you persist. You can get upper lip and tooth paresthesia, nose bleeds, and chronic sinus problems.
"Tomorrow" was about 3 weeks ago, Doc :wink: The dives were no problemo - even without sudafed. Whew! Glad that didn't turn into even more pain!

Cool. Just glad you didn't hurt yourself. I cannot imagine diving in Alaska in the winter, for fun!

I'm spoiled.

Regards,

Larry Stein

....eased off for my 13 yo son after breathing 100% O2 for 10 minutes. This denitrogenated the pressurized air pocket. In the water at surface, he refused to go down 5-10 ' to let it ease up. At first, he doubted he would ever dive again after this happened on C-dive.

I'll remember it as the first time in a long while this teenager trusted the "old man." Mark Twain said it roughly like this: When I was 14, I was ashamed how dumb the old man was; but when I was 21, I was amazed at how much he learned in seven years.

He did dive again, and hasn't looked back.

Cave Diver:
I have to disagree with this. I've found a technique for clearing reverse blocks that works quite well for me. If I stop and turn the ear causing me pain towards the bottom and the clearer ear towards the surface, after a moment or two it will usually *pop* then clear as the trapped air seeks equilibrium. If both ears are causing a problem I just alternate.

That works for EARS.

It does NOT work for sinuses.

If you have problems on the way down, you can at least call the dive. The bad news is when all is ok on the way down, but it happens on the way UP.

I've only had the problem once. I only want to have the problem once.....

Back
Top Bottom