Reward Lost Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Folise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Lost December 31, 2009. :( Palancar bricks over the reef. Bottom was probably only 65fsw. Operator Del Mar Aquatics. Nikon Coolpix 5400, Sea & Sea DX5400 and YS-15 Auto strobe. $200.00 USD. Set up is negatively boyant and tested waterproof to 200fsw so should still be OK. If found soak in fresh water then contact me for shipping.

Bummer! Having lost my Canon 20D and Ikelite housing with dual strobes once I know what you are going through. Luckily I found mine...8 weeks and 14 dives later!

Michael- good luck with your search. I really do hope it pops up somewhere. Last year a dive buddy of mine had his low budget Sea and Sea camera come off his clip and drop to the bottom within a minute of entering the water. He realized it almost immediately, but the current was too strong to go back for it. After the dive our DM went back to the drop-in point and went down to look for it, it was nowhere to be found. Apparently, during the initial dive the captain said he heard banter on the radio about someone finding a camera, but not knowing that it was us he didn't pay much attention. When he sent out a broadcast asking for the boat that found the camera........silence. I would guess that 75% of the ops and divers on the island would try to find the rightful owner of the camera they found, it's the other 25% you have to wonder about.

Again, good luck to you, stranger things have happened.

Good luck on your search. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

Dive cameras are so easy to lose, flood, or break - I am surprised that State Farm does it so cheaply, no deductible: Personal Articles

I'm not sure how cheap, but as I just posted on another thread...
I am looking at mine now, and I have cameras insured for $650, other sporting goods for over $2,000, and my new laptop that I insured by phone before I left the store for $1,000 - all for $88/yr.

My camera is (was) on a retractor with a squeeze clip. My magnetic slate is also on a squeeze clip on the same side, but a slightly different shape. This is what I think happend. I went to unclip my slate and squeezed the camera retractor clip instead. Relaizing the error by feel, I stopped squeezing and moved to the slate clip. The retractor was pulling on its clip the whole time so even though I did not fully release the retractor clip it was probably not fully engaged and at a later time it pulled free. With the current rocketing me along, that camera bouncing around anyway it released and I didn't notice until the safety stop.

Lots of ways I could have avoided this. First, if I had used a C-clip for the camera this couldn't have happend. Second, I should have stuck closer to my buddy and she probably would have seen it. Third, .... well, you get the point.

P.S. Pictures (from the first dive)are in my gallery. At this piont I would be happy if I got the card back, if not the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom