RI Anti Sport Diver Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sean22

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.crmc.ri.gov/news/2006may26_sunken.html

Fo those of you who enjoy diving in Rhode Island, more specifically thise who might enjoy a splash in the Newport Harbor area should read this attached article.
In the past I have mentioned the state's hostile attitude toward Wreck Divers.
Here is proof. Pay special attention to the point about a reserve area 2 miles around the site in question. Well take a looke at a Nautical chart and see what a 2 mile ring around the site which is just south of the Naval War college. In is in complete opposition to the 1987 abandoned shipwreck act which was to guarantee access to wrecks by the Sport Diving community. I just love this state!

Sounds to me they have discovered something good and want exclusive rights to dive on the wrecks and leave the sport divers out.

ScubaSarus:
Sounds to me they have discovered something good and want exclusive rights to dive on the wrecks and leave the sport divers out.
You hit it on the nailhead scubasarus! The real joke about it is that 2 of the four wrecksites (Ballast Piles) that they "Discovered" had already been discovered by Sport Divers and have been dived for many years (I being one of them).

2 miles seems like an awful large "cushion". though I do agree that those revolutionary war era ships should be examined by professional historians before too many recreational divers corrupt their findings.

not that I know too much about the subject...

I've heard thru the grapevine that particular female archeologist gets a little too possessive about certain shipwrecks. What's left of the Endeavour after a lifetime at sea, a scuttling and several centuries u/w? A pile of stones, rotting wood and a few clay pipes, probably. I don't think they'll find the captain's log or anything.

Of course, they should be able to do their scientific thing and get it over with, but 2 miles seems a bit absurd.

just my opinion.............

LobstaMan

I hate to make blanket indictments, but...Seems like you're typical "watch dog" bullies.
Kind of like condo presidents, self importance being their first priority. Im all for a good plunder on just about anything found underwater, but there are exceptions. This, of course being one of them, but the safety net they wish to impose is absurd. It's small wonder that divers, (or homeowners for that matter) fear to divulge any findings they may come across. In the case of the homeowner, the state historian has free reign to dig up your property, and seize anything of "significance" they find. And, with divers, exclude us from diving in an unreasonably large area surrounding the site of their choosing. When, and IF they find those old pipes, cannon balls, or what ever the ocean hasen't claimed for itself, they will without doubt make fantastic fanfare of threir highly significant finds. which will secure them more of our tax dollar funding. Too bad that reason is not a factor in their decision making process.

dbg40:
I hate to make blanket indictments, but...Seems like you're typical "watch dog" bullies.
Kind of like condo presidents, self importance being their first priority. Im all for a good plunder on just about anything found underwater, but there are exceptions. This, of course being one of them, but the safety net they wish to impose is absurd. It's small wonder that divers, (or homeowners for that matter) fear to divulge any findings they may come across. In the case of the homeowner, the state historian has free reign to dig up your property, and seize anything of "significance" they find. And, with divers, exclude us from diving in an unreasonably large area surrounding the site of their choosing. When, and IF they find those old pipes, cannon balls, or what ever the ocean hasen't claimed for itself, they will without doubt make fantastic fanfare of threir highly significant finds. which will secure them more of our tax dollar funding. Too bad that reason is not a factor in their decision making process.
I am in total agreement. With every point you made. I just wanted to post this to see what other peoples' feelings on the subject are. Personally it makes my blood boil! I have been on 3 of these wrecks. Being a history nut, I really enjoy the sites. However, the average diver who is not into history, they really look like nothing more than a pile of rocks(yes there is a cannon and an anchor on two of them). I have no problem with groups doing Archaeological projects. What I do have a problem with is when a public resource becomes the exclusive domain of one group to the exclusion of all others. And I am tired of the Rhetorical rants that brand us as "Looters"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom