Riffe Freedivers 9/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Okay Bluemagoo, I promise not to shout that at anyone.

Questions:

If Kaku is Japanese for baracuda, does that mean ciguetera is a possibility? Or water too cold here... and If Moonfish is the exception to this class, (Opah, correct?) then do they have big choppers? These Grey Snapper looked like they had big pink dentures--and molars.

Also, what about H. Kai being "sharky" ? Where did you hear that?

You should assume that any nearshore predatory fish has ciguatera -- or so the "experts" say. But the reality is that the concentrations in a single fish are often not enough to make you sick, although one co-worker did get it from a single ulua caught at South Point on the Big Island. But the ciguatoxin is cumulative and so if you're a steady frequent eater of your own catch, your chances of getting it go up. As with any disease, there're a lot of variables that can affect a person's sensitivity to it. There's a home test kit available: on Oahu, http://cigua.oceanit.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=56&Itemid=44 I haven't used one in ages; the early kits had three glass testtubes and you rubbed a special tape on the fishmeat and swished it in a testtube. If the strip turned blue, well, you just caught fertilizer. Personally, I don't bother testing smaller fish, those up to 10lbs (less if I'm in a suspicious mood); definitely anything in the 30+lb range (and I can't remember the last time I got anything that big). The one fish everyone does avoid, or test religiously if taken, is the "kahala" or amberjack. This fish seems to gotten a nasty reputation for ciguatera.

I've seen sharks at Portlock Point only from a distance; sitting up on the cliffs near Spitting Cave. I've dove there only a few times, scuba and free, and didn't see any except maybe as a faint what'sit? in the distance. But I do know some Tarzans (female ones too) who do the Molokai-to-Oahu thing in canoes, kayaks, paddleboards, fastfood trays, whatever, and every single one says they've had at least one close encounter. But none of them really believe that it's a greater problem there than anywhere else that has similar nearshore exposure to blue water. A lot of other places have sharky reputations: just about any harbor or river mouth anywhere, the Waianae coast, Ewa Beach, north Kaneohe Bay (pupping grounds for hammerheads), Pearl Harbor (West Loch especially). Hana/Kipahulu and Olowalu on Maui; and nobody objects to them at Molokini. Kawaihae/North Kohala on the Big Island; that reputation seems to have come from the old practice of swimming cattle out to the ships.

But hey, look at it this way... Maunalua Bay which is what fronts Portlock, not only has sharks coming in from deepwater, but also dolphins, and at least one time each, I've been told of a humpback and a whale shark. How cool is that?

The Cigua-check kits are a ripoff! At $20 per kit for 3 tests, it's cheaper to go to the fish market. I always test my fish for ciguatera by eating them and not getting sick (so far). If/when I catch a monster ulua or barracuda I will probably pick one up, but the chances of catching cigua from smaller fish are too low for it to be worthwhile.

I think people avoid kahala because of the worms, although most claim it's because of ciguatera. Kahala doesn't really have more cigua than any other fish, but having to pick nasty-looking parasites out of the meat before cooking is a bit of a turn-off.

Gray sharks are very rare in Hawaii, at least in the main islands. Generally, larger gray sharks are either galapagos or sandbars. Apparently, telling the difference between grays and galapagos is very difficult from a distance. (I'm not a shark person, but I work with a couple of people who do research on them).

great pictures catherine. let me know when you want to go on a fun dive and I can make it to Joe's boat (or whichever boat). I'll bring my camera and we can be the best buddy team around (LOL).

Melissa

I've been told of a humpback and a whale shark. How cool is that?

Well, it is very cool. I was ascending from the Corsair last year and was approached by a whale. It was alone and about 45 ft. I could have almost reached out and touched it. It stayed about 15 minutes and we were all (four of us) incredulous. One of my best moments. Suzette who now owns Captain Bruce was with me.

The captain said it was a female because "they have a perfect world, the females don't vocalize". Is that true?

rgbmatt:
The Cigua-check kits are a ripoff! At $20 per kit for 3 tests, it's cheaper to go to the fish market. I always test my fish for ciguatera by eating them and not getting sick (so far). If/when I catch a monster ulua or barracuda I will probably pick one up, but the chances of catching cigua from smaller fish are too low for it to be worthwhile.

I think people avoid kahala because of the worms, although most claim it's because of ciguatera. Kahala doesn't really have more cigua than any other fish, but having to pick nasty-looking parasites out of the meat before cooking is a bit of a turn-off.

Gray sharks are very rare in Hawaii, at least in the main islands. Generally, larger gray sharks are either galapagos or sandbars. Apparently, telling the difference between grays and galapagos is very difficult from a distance. (I'm not a shark person, but I work with a couple of people who do research on them).

Yeah, they're expensive; strike one. And there's some paperwork (voluntary) to report any positives; strike two. And they have a shelf-life; strike three. That's why myself and most guys I know just go for it and not worry too much unless it's a big'um.

Now that you mentioned the worms, that sounds familiar.

I've been told that it's mainly Galapagos off of Portlock. I've seen a gray only once off of Waimea Bay long ago and it did the posture thing at us; scary. Grays have a distinctive dark margin to the rear edge of the tail; that's how we knew what it was. But I imagine that's not a real help at a distance or in less than crystal water. Galapagos and sandbars are apparently more difficult to distinguish, even up close; something about the sandbar having a taller, larger dorsal fin and steeper slope from dorsal to nose. But heck with looking at fins; it's the teeth.... :dropmouth

bluemagoo:
Grays have a distinctive dark margin to the rear edge of the tail; that's how we knew what it was. But I imagine that's not a real help at a distance or in less than crystal water. Galapagos and sandbars are apparently more difficult to distinguish, even up close; something about the sandbar having a taller, larger dorsal fin and steeper slope from dorsal to nose.

Galapagos can also have a dark tail margin; apparently the only sure way to tell them apart (especially when young) is that Galapagos have a small ridge between the 2nd dorsal fin & tail. Most people don't get close enough to look for this.

Sandbars have a very distinctive humped back; they're easy to identify if you get a side view even if the viz is bad.

rgbmatt:
Galapagos can also have a dark tail margin; apparently the only sure way to tell them apart (especially when young) is that Galapagos have a small ridge between the 2nd dorsal fin & tail. Most people don't get close enough to look for this.

Sandbars have a very distinctive humped back; they're easy to identify if you get a side view even if the viz is bad.

...interesting... Is it true that Galapagos tend to be more aggro/inquisitive than others?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom