Rinsing a BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because of the way it is attached, it is not easy to screw back the inflater shoulder hose. Don't ask me how I know this....

SoCal Surfer:
I have never seen anybody remove an inflator hose to rinse out a BCD but was wondering if that is a good idea or not. It seems like I could rinse the hell out of it if I could just open it up. Any tips? Thanks!

I will take off the dump valve, fill with water and rinse. After, I will typically leave the valve off for a day or so, just to let all the moisture dry, then put the valve back on. Is this causing any harm to the bladder?

I am all for the removing of one of the dump valves. It is relatively easy and provides a large entrance for water. Just my 2 cents. :wink:

hopeitsapar:
I will take off the dump valve, fill with water and rinse. After, I will typically leave the valve off for a day or so, just to let all the moisture dry, then put the valve back on. Is this causing any harm to the bladder?

This is what I have found out about doing this on MY bcd. If I remove the dump valve, there are moving parts that get exposed; a spring and the disc that seals on the seat (if this is what they are called). After, I removed the dump valve, I had to stretch the spring out to regain the seal. I dove with bubble coming out the whole time. I didn't like that at all. SO, I have been removing the hose connector which has no moving parts exposed. The valve is in the hose assembly.

Now, I have talked to a great many people and I have consistently heard that opening it up and filling it is a great idea. Some suggested an occasional internal bcd shampoo and some said that was not necessary as baby shampoo works well. Whatever? Many folks said that drying the inside of the bcd was huge to keep mold out but they all suggested filling with air and hanging. Some suggested filling with air from a tank because of the drying effect of low humidity air and then changing the air. I have always stored my bcd with a little air to keep the inside of the bladder from sticking together and maintain shape. Somebody told me that's why I do it so I just do it. I also read that rinsing the inside of your bcd with listerine a few times a year will kill shtuff growing inside. I ran into this older cat while diving at Old Marineland and his bcd was over 10 years old. He said that he only rinses his bcd with freshwater by opening the bcd and filling her up after every dive. SO, that's all the information I came up with. I will be filling my bcd with water through the hose connection and rinsing the hell out of it. I'll be storing it with air inside and changing that air to help dry the inside. Every now and then I'll use this bottle of bcd shampoo that I have and cross my fingers that I'll be able to pass this piece of equipment on to somebody in great condition in 5 years or so. =)

The other option you might want to try is to take the low pressure inflator hose,hold it up and let the water run into the hose gently to fillup the unit.Then pull the emergency deflate handle and let the water run out.this rinses all of the mechanincal pieces in the inflator hose and runs water past your release valves.Also, on the second or third time, add a little air to give the water a little boost on the way out.( orally of course.)Turning the unit upside down to drain the water should not hurt either.

I was taught at a recent equipment care class, to remove the inflator hose and all dump valves, and clean the seal areas. The inflator hose on both of our BC’s unscrews just as easily as the dump valves.

Back
Top Bottom