Risk-free ways to try out masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not do easy in NYC. I'm thinking of starting a business for selling masks where people can try whatever they want, no risk. :)

Not do easy in NYC. I'm thinking of starting a business for selling masks where people can try whatever they want, no risk. :)

My local dive shop will let you try any mask on in their pool for free.. Masks that seemed to fit me "dry technique" holding your breath in, did not work once when I was underwater during a dive.. I went through about 8 masks before I found one that works..

Best way is to stay with the mask that you know works. Have you tried ebay:
eBay item number:

It's weird that it sticks to your face in a shop and not in the water.

Are you equalising regularly under water? If not the skirt could be squashing a bit and causing a leak? Or you adjusted the strap a lot tighter when you got in the water?

I've backrolled off my boat and had a little trouble with a leaking mask because the strap slipped forward over my head and wasn't doing anything to hold the mask to my face.

I'm lucky though. I guess I have a "universal head"….but I do have a big nose and high bridge….but I've only had masks not fit because they were too shallow and hit the bridge of my nose.

We have a pool here and a customer can go into the pool if they really need to see if a mask fits. Located just outside of NYC , Yonkers NY

Best way is to stay with the mask that you know works. Have you tried ebay:
eBay item number:

Thanks. I can get it even cheaper elsewhere, but it's not the softer LiquidSkin, which I've been using in clear for five years.

I use the X-Vision Liquidskin too, and know exactly what you mean regarding the great fit of the Liquidskin. So far, the only mask that I have found that fits as well or maybe even better is the one below. It also uses a dual silicone technology like liquidskin called Trufit. It has a more convention lens shape and is offered with a black skirt.

ScubaPro Synergy Twin Trufit Mask - Visibility Unlimited

If the dry test is not translating to sucess in the water the issue may be in the rest of the gear.

You probably know that a tight strap is one of the worst things you can do. The addition of a hood or even change in hood can be enough to disrupt the correct strap tension. Be sure to pay attention to that when getting into different gear. Where you place the strap on the back of your head can make a big difference. It may wamt to be below the back most point.

How about a bubble getting trapped in the hood? If air is trapped in the hood it will raise havoc whith mask sealing.

You mentioned a little water in the nose pocket. Water in the lens spaces can wash defog away and accumulating water can distract you at the worst of all times. If you are just getting a little in the nose pocket you may be hypersensitive to it all.

Finally to suggest a mask to try because I had a similar issue going way back. You can find them Ebay as no-names and several brands also sell them. It's a 4 lens mask 2 of which are on the side. The front corners are just sealed together, no structure. They come in clear or black skirt and plenty of frame colors. I have bought them no-name for $25 or so and under $70 branded. One name I have seen them under is EDGE. The 2 side windows are nice for keeping track of buddies even if the perspective is distorted.

Pete

PS: Don't forget to shave before trying on the masks or it might give you an impression that none of them wants to stay on...

Pretty much any mask will fit you (in a staying on your face sense) on land if you use the inhaling through your nose method - although that is a good test of whether the mask will put pressure on your nose, browline etc. due to increasing pressure when underwater.

When trying a mask on try tilting your head up to look at the ceiling and just lay it on your face. The skirt should sit flush against your skin with no gaps or areas where it stands off from your face. Then use the inhalation method to check for any unwanted pressure points, and with a reg to see if this affects it. Agree with Aglofish & Texasguy that stubble does make a huge difference with guys and water in the nose pockets.

I used to use an x vision as my spare mask. When it died I replaced it with an IST Chamelion. If the X vision was a good fit, try one of these, or alternatively an oceanic shadow/mini shadow, which is what I use as my primary mask.

Good luck :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom