Risk of CO (versus incorrect O2 tank levels)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lack of data may also be used in the risk assessment matrix effectively.

An absence of no means yes?

For the accident statistics to be valid in a risk assessment, you can only use the accident data where CO relevance was measured in either the gas or the victim. I haven't seen many studies reporting the percentage of accidents where CO was causative, out of accidents where CO was investigated as a potential contributor. I haven't seen any from outside North America.

There is a difference between no data, and data supporting an absence of risk factors. If you try to use a numerically scored risk assessment, you wouldn't be able to assess CO risk based on recreational scuba accident data sets due to the absence of consensus in the reliable data - the score is undefined, not zero. That doesn't mean it's low risk, it means you can't predict the risk based on recreational scuba accident reports alone.

You can look at studies by various compressed gas associations (some referenced in another post) on contaminant levels found in compressed gases and score the hazards on that basis. The studies I've seen indicate a low risk for CO contamination, about 1 to 3 percent, which aligns pretty well with the number of CO contaminated tanks I've encountered here in the middle east.

In the US there's a good chance your filler has a CO monitor on his compressor, which gives you a better comfort factor in your personal risk assessment. I've yet to see a CO monitor on a compressor over here. I have seen an LDS go 3 years without changing the compressor oil (they just kept adding vegetable oil when the level was low). And I have seen several shops use the same molecular sieve well past its' expiration (something's better than nothing theory).

Back to the original hijack; comparatively speaking on a global basis, the risk to an OW recreational scuba diver of a CO hit seems higher than the risk of being tox'd out by a rich nitrox blend inadvertently mixed in a rental tank marked air. While both may be considered low risks, I've never heard of a diver toxing out on a rental tank marked air, but have seen several incidents per year of divers dying from CO contaminated air. If an OW diver were inclined to invest in only one analyzer, the CO analyzer addresses the higher risk amongst the two IMO.

An absence of no means yes?

For the accident statistics to be valid in a risk assessment, you can only use the accident data where CO relevance was measured in either the gas or the victim. I haven't seen many studies reporting the percentage of accidents where CO was causative, out of accidents where CO was investigated as a potential contributor. I haven't seen any from outside North America.

There is a difference between no data, and data supporting an absence of risk factors. If you try to use a numerically scored risk assessment, you wouldn't be able to assess CO risk based on recreational scuba accident data sets due to the absence of consensus in the reliable data - the score is undefined, not zero. That doesn't mean it's low risk, it means you can't predict the risk based on recreational scuba accident reports alone.

You can look at studies by various compressed gas associations (some referenced in another post) on contaminant levels found in compressed gases and score the hazards on that basis. The studies I've seen indicate a low risk for CO contamination, about 1 to 3 percent, which aligns pretty well with the number of CO contaminated tanks I've encountered here in the middle east.

In the US there's a good chance your filler has a CO monitor on his compressor, which gives you a better comfort factor in your personal risk assessment. I've yet to see a CO monitor on a compressor over here. I have seen an LDS go 3 years without changing the compressor oil (they just kept adding vegetable oil when the level was low). And I have seen several shops use the same molecular sieve well past its' expiration (something's better than nothing theory).

Back to the original hijack; comparatively speaking on a global basis, the risk to an OW recreational scuba diver of a CO hit seems higher than the risk of being tox'd out by a rich nitrox blend inadvertently mixed in a rental tank marked air. While both may be considered low risks, I've never heard of a diver toxing out on a rental tank marked air, but have seen several incidents per year of divers dying from CO contaminated air. If an OW diver were inclined to invest in only one analyzer, the CO analyzer addresses the higher risk amongst the two IMO.

You should start a thread so that these statistics can be monitored. You have seen far more than just about any other reporting agency.

. . . I've never heard of a diver toxing out on a rental tank marked air, but have seen several incidents per year of divers dying from CO contaminated air.

I have to agree with syntaxerror on this. If you have seen more than one incident of a fatality due to CO contaminated air, it would be great if you would start a Thread.

I saw CO contamination once: At a popular dive quarry in southern Virginia a long time ago. Probably 15 years ago. The quarry owner was gone that day, and his cheap, lazy staff didn't bother to replace a filter. (For those of you who are wondering what site it was, yes, it rhymes with callings.)

When we complained, staff said we just didn't know what we were talking about.

I started a thread where you could post if you analysed tanks with greater than 5ppm CO. Lets start seeing some numbers. Carlos's death although not related to CO should serve as a reminder that analysis of tanks can save lives and will hopefully prevent further tragic loss.

I started a thread where you could post if you analysed tanks with greater than 5ppm CO. Lets start seeing some numbers. Carlos's death although not related to CO should serve as a reminder that analysis of tanks can save lives and will hopefully prevent further tragic loss.

Share the link if you can find it. No reason for five or six folks to think there's a significant concern here without recording the findings. Someone has to start providing empirical evidence right?

Share the link if you can find it. No reason for five or six folks to think there's a significant concern here without recording the findings. Someone has to start providing empirical evidence right?

The thread is currently in Advanced Scuba Discussions:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...63958-lets-track-co-analysis-5ppm-higher.html

Back
Top Bottom