Rix intrinsic safety regarding CO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bull. I work at a lab. Our official limit of detection is 0.2ppm for non-methane hydrocarbons and 0.4 for volatile halo-hydrocarbons but we can see them at lesser concentrations than that. If there were any oil vapour hydrocarbons present we would see them and we don't.
Not an expert, but this surprises me. You're saying that at the end of normal filter cartridge service life, you routinely see sub-fractional ppm levels of volatile hydrocarbons? The US Grade E specs are 25ppm hydrocarbon I believe, Canadian I guess is lower, but you don't routinely see even 1% of that level?

How is the testing for non-volatile HC - oil residue - done? Just curious.

Not an expert, but this surprises me. You're saying that at the end of normal filter cartridge service life, you routinely see sub-fractional ppm levels of volatile hydrocarbons? The US Grade E specs are 25ppm hydrocarbon I believe, Canadian I guess is lower, but you don't routinely see even 1% of that level?

How is the testing for non-volatile HC - oil residue - done? Just curious.
Ian (who sells Rix compressors) was saying that any oil lubed compressor puts out ppm levels of hydrocarbons despite the filters.

Nadwidny's saying that in most air samples (he owes Airchek in Edmonton) he does not see PPM hydrocarbons at a 0.2ppm reporting level. And that he can see hydrocarbons on the instrument at levels below 0.2ppm. So Ian's marketing claims about the Rix avoiding this <pervasive> hydrocarbon contamination is BS because it doesn't exist.

The reason is because filters pass too much water vapor (i.e. they "fail") long before they pass oil.

Yes it can - when Viton seals break down the resulting air quality is poor.

Looks like we are confused already and so soon. No matter.

Rjack now in order to get to this imaginary situation of yours you would first have to dismantle the RTD cut out, and have the cooling fan removed, and also remove the water in the radiator and if thats not enough the cooling water pump also would need to be dismantled.

Now even thats not quite enough as there is the low flow coolent paddle switch that would also have had to be dismantled and if any of these components were indeed dismantled you still wouldn’t get any flow cos the compressor wouldn’t start in the first place to melt your Viton seals.

No Rjack as I stated it can’t with the Rix compressor the OP is discussing.

Now even if we now imagine that we have indeed managed to by pass all the safety cut outs on the pump and we did managed to melt the Viton seal to a point of off gassing and break down

At that point there is no resulting compressed air, its all gone leaked out past the broken seal, and all your left with is a piston moving up and down with no gas or air being either compressed or delivered. No flow no pressure and it still won’t fill your tank.

So in reply to your first section its still, No it can’t. Iain

Carry on with your bogus marketing claims about the amazing Rix. I have tasted foul air from a Rix SA-6 (which has no water cooling so not sure where that is coming from). I found out later that the 3rd stage was scorched and the seals partially combusted. How it got that hot who knows, I wasn't there for the rebuild.

Bull. I work at a lab. Our official limit of detection is 0.2ppm for non-methane hydrocarbons and 0.4 for volatile halo-hydrocarbons but we can see them at lesser concentrations than that. If there were any oil vapour hydrocarbons present we would see them and we don't.

Great, you work in a lab, it shows. But for a lab testing divers air at ppm levels it's quite poor when you consider the oil free oil less Rix is capable of producing authentic air samples down to the parts per quadrillion level ppq
without contamination of the original air sample.

Look even a standard 3 stage diver oil free air compressor is capable to produce high pressure atmospheric air samples for measurement down to the parts per billion ppb air sampling levels without contamination of the original air sample.

Agilent 6890 for CH4, CO2 and Trace Analytical RGA3 for N2O, SF6, H2 and CO analysis
LoFlo-CO2 analyzer, a Picarro G 1301 for CO2 and CH4 analysis and an Aero-Laser AL5002 for CO analysis.

Now I do think oil, synthetic dieter, triester, polyolefin and alkyl methacrylate breakdown components in divers breathing air when using oil lubricated compressors is a subject in need of discussion and to be understood in the light of breathing under pressure just maybe not in this post.

But before calling bull on the subject matter you need to declare what oils are being used in the dive industry and the complex breakdown components that you are either not testing for or not making known are present.

Lets discuss phenol sulphide, or phosphorosulfide in these dive compressor oils
while we are at it why not include the cobalt naphthalenes or some to the triester based
lubricants found in oil lubricated dive compressors.

What with most of these oils having flash points some less than half that of the melting temperature of a Viton 0-ring makes you wonder why all the fuss.

But don’t let me get in the way of you making money testing divers breathing air, just don’t think that every diver is breathing gas tested down at your level.

Again I put it to you just drink the condensate off the oil lubricated compressors you test and let me know how you get on, Iain

Last edited:
A lot going on here.
I'm just a diver who wants clean air. I'm a simple guy. Thanks to you guys, I
No longer trust my dive shop, the next dive op I'm going to dive with, or for that matter...I don't trust you guys either. It is as it should be, alas.

I am forlorn and lost in a world of distrust. Nonetheless, I will press on. Ive now learned that I must check my own air for CO and O2 content. I'd like to test it for polyolefin, methacrylate degradation byproducts and phenols but don't know if that's gonna happen. I don't even know what those are...but don't tell me, cuz I ain't gonna trust you anyway.

So, what do you guys use to test your air? I have a nitrox measuring device but that's it. (you can answer my question but I'll still "trust but verify" you dirty lying sumbitches.

:wink:

Great, you work in a lab, it shows. But for a lab testing divers air at ppm levels it's quite poor when you consider the oil free oil less Rix is capable of producing authentic air samples down to the parts per quadrillion level ppq
without contamination of the original air sample.

Look even a standard 3 stage diver oil free air compressor is capable to produce high pressure atmospheric air samples for measurement down to the parts per billion ppb air sampling levels without contamination of the original air sample.

Agilent 6890 for CH4, CO2 and Trace Analytical RGA3 for N2O, SF6, H2 and CO analysis
LoFlo-CO2 analyzer, a Picarro G 1301 for CO2 and CH4 analysis and an Aero-Laser AL5002 for CO analysis.

Now I do think oil, synthetic dieter, triester, polyolefin and alkyl methacrylate breakdown components in divers breathing air when using oil lubricated compressors is a subject in need of discussion and to be understood in the light of breathing under pressure just maybe not in this post.

But before calling bull on the subject matter you need to declare what oils are being used in the dive industry and the complex breakdown components that you are either not testing for or not making known are present.

Lets discuss phenol sulphide, or phosphorosulfide in these dive compressor oils
while we are at it why not include the cobalt naphthalenes or some to the triester based
lubricants found in oil lubricated dive compressors.

What with most of these oils having flash points some less than half that of the melting temperature of a Viton 0-ring makes you wonder why all the fuss.

But don’t let me get in the way of you making money testing divers breathing air, just don’t think that every diver is breathing gas tested down at your level.

Again I put it to you just drink the condensate off the oil lubricated compressors you test and let me know how you get on, Iain
OK Ross. I'll get right on that.

A lot going on here.
I'm just a diver who wants clean air. I'm a simple guy. Thanks to you guys, I
No longer trust my dive shop, the next dive op I'm going to dive with, or for that matter...I don't trust you guys either. It is as it should be, alas.

I am forlorn and lost in a world of distrust. Nonetheless, I will press on. Ive now learned that I must check my own air for CO and O2 content. I'd like to test it for polyolefin, methacrylate degradation byproducts and phenols but don't know if that's gonna happen. I don't even know what those are...but don't tell me, cuz I ain't gonna trust you anyway.

So, what do you guys use to test your air? I have a nitrox measuring device but that's it. (you can answer my question but I'll still "trust but verify" you dirty lying sumbitches.

:wink:
I carry a portable O2 analyzer and a CO analyzer to check my tanks when they are filled by someone else.

O2 and CO analysis from my own or anyone else's compressor. He analyzer for trimix.

You'd be surprised by what you'll find in urban (or even rural) ambient air.

Back
Top Bottom