Road Trip to North Florida, New Year's 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y'all let me know the details when they're worked out. I would love to go - I've only done one oil rig ocean dive. The cost has kept me from any other traveling. I'm up for camping, Motel 6, driving in 24/7 shifts - whatever it takes to get there fast!

I'm taking the week off for Christmas already, so I'll just have to see if I can squeeze more vacation time in. Leaving on the 26th would be awesome.

Ok Texans (anybody else reading this post)!

_Kurt_ and I are working on a scubaboard get together the weekend following Christmas at one of the springs. So far we are leaning towards Blue Grotto/Devils Den.

Mark you calendars for Dec 26-28 in north Florida scubaboard dive party!

Any suggestions or assistance is appreciated.
Until we meet, happy diving
:jenny

I was just saying the other weekend while diving at twin Lakes with some of the swamper we ought to drive to FL for some diving and possibly pick up a steel tank.

I would like to go if I can. What are the dive conditions like and temps for this time of the year.

The conditions vary widely, usually by the hour:wink: and by location, as Florida is very diverse in its diving opportunities. Springs are fairly constant 68-72 degrees. If you can be more specific, we can try to help. Air temps vary by region as well, but generally are great. Come on over and we'll get together!!

Kurt,

Thats just the kind of info I was looking for. Part of the question was because there are alot of caves in FL. Would the dive spots that were mentioned be considered technical dive spots.

So far we are leaning towards Blue Grotto/Devils Den

Are they caves or rivers etc? What kind of depths are they.

I want to know If this is something I can dive with my current training and experiance. I've have over 60 dives. 20 or so in the 60'-100' range. I have made dives in Mexico and the Gulf so have some experiance with curents, surge conditions and Boats. I've made dives in rivers, lakes and low vis enviroments. I do not have any training for over head enviroments. Given this info what type of diving experiance does the springs take and are there any concerns I need to know about before I make a decision to drive out there.

I would like to go and sounds like fun but if I'm not up to speed to dive some of these locations then I would rather find out before makeing plans to go.

The place we eventually pick will be good for all cert levels.

Both those sites are commercial sites. I don't know the websites for them, but I'm sure you can find info on them from the internet. OW classes are often taught at these locations, so they are good for everyone.

Any chance anyone wants to do a Manatee dive that weekend?I am setting aside that weekend now.Whatever you'all decide we'll caravan over.

I noticed some mentioned Blue Grotto and Devil's Den I found this website which gives tours around those places if you want more information on the spots mentioned.

http://www.americanprodive.com/Default.asp

I was thinking about going there sometime in the Spring for a week and then travelling around to also do some hiking, if anyone is interested in going in the Spring let me know as I'll post more later.

D

Back
Top Bottom