Roatan 11/9-16/2013 Whether or not....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thursday morning it really rained- thought those various predictions were coming true. Then by 10:00, it was bright and shiny, all the way through till now, noon on Friday.

Moral: never believe tropical weather forecasts for Roatan.

A lot of happy divers at CCV's SeaHorse Festival. They have two weeks more to go.

Thanks, Doc, for the weather angle to this thread. We're packed to be ready for any weather.

Always a good plan. I brought an unlined Goretx parka and an umbrella. Used the umbrella once, will likely need the parka tonight at O'hare Airport.

Saturday has dawned light overcast 10% more like a haze that will likely burn off. Seas are essentially flat with 3" ripple waves. Once again, the tide is incredibly high, running 6" higher than I had ever seen previously.

It was a week that I was not looking for great weather, I thought that the CCV boats with the center moon-well ladders would be a necessary salvation.... But I was quite surprised by the total wrong-ness of the weather report in my thread starter, post #1 above.

Pleasantly surprised! I used to say that the only thing I believed on the news was the weather. Now, I can't even believe that!

Rainy season? Go, be prepared, chose your dive op with care, have fun.

You were wet already, anyway!

"Moral: never believe tropical weather forecasts for Roatan"

Hope your are right because the forecast for our week looks dismal. Oh well, it is pretty much what we expected.

This week has been perfect weather. Tomorrow (Fri. 11/22) is our last dive day. We have been incredibly lucky. The 5 mm suit was overkill. Full report on our stay at AKR will be forthcoming. Gotta go get ready for the night dive.

Doc do yo have a picture or a link to the 10x magnifiers you gave out?

http://www.amazon.com/L3075-Large-Pocket-Magnifier-MH7016/dp/B00BVTOFKU

buy three or more cheaper at http://www.precisionproducts.us/Large-Pocket-Magnifier-6x-Power-L3075-MH7015-p/l3075.htm

They are, however, a very common flea-market/gun show/crafters fair kind of item, sold alongside the dental picks and Dremel tool bits.

They come marked variously. Sometimes I have sen them as 10x, sometimes 6x. Whatever. GET ONE MADE OF GLASS !

I drill or grind off the rivet, it would rust, anyway. This gives me a nice hole that I can loop a piece of line through, making it easy to attach or hold.

This week has been perfect weather. Tomorrow (Fri. 11/22) is our last dive day. We have been incredibly lucky. The 5 mm suit was overkill. Full report on our stay at AKR will be forthcoming. Gotta go get ready for the night dive.
Glad to hear you lucked out weather-wise. We leave cold Atlanta on Saturday for AKR and hope to keep the streak alive.

Hey Doc - I have a SPECIAL request...PLEASE :blinking: Go check out Anka's place and tell me what's happened in the past two years and what's growing on that wall that was laid bare by the earthquake! Pictures would be fantabulous!

Dove Anka's last week. Lots of new growth. Kinda mazing after just a few years.

Back
Top Bottom