Roatan/Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daddyrpm:
Wife and I are really getting interested in a trip to Anthony's Key or Utila lodge..

any tips on best way to get there from Dallas? Traditional Travel sites are really making it difficult to find flights w/o going long way round the world...

any advice or input on how and when to go is also appreciated.
I am so impressed with the wealth of knowlege that is shared around here, so thanks in advance!!!
Connecting in Houston with Continental is generally a better experience than taking TACA non-stop from DFW. There's a nice BarBQ cafe in the international terminal there, good eats for an airport.
jumping-smiley-027.gif

My personal path is DAL (Dallas Love) on CO to Houston, then CO from Houston to Roatan direct, then Atlantic, Sosa or chartering Bay Islands Air or Celine Air for an afternoon flight if I'm going on to Utila.

Sounds like a long path, but not bad really. Love Field is close to my mom's, and being a smaller airport and basically a domestic one (IE: not a lot of international travler's trying to check baggage there) I don't have to do the 2-3 hour early thing, so it doesn't harldy feel like 'another flight'. No massive security check lines, metal detector lines, or huge crowds of people. Some people forget CO flies out of Dallas Love, but I just hate the congestion at DFW, so always opt for Love when I can.

A layover in Houston gives me time for a quick breakfast, and then off to the Caribbean & you're in Roatan by lunch (if you're on the early flight). Depending on which CO flight you're on (they have 2 on Saturdays), you may have a bit of a layover in Roatan if you're going on to Utila. I call Gomez Express & have them run me out to West End to grab a bit of lunch (snack stands in Roatan airport are so-so). Just make sure you leave yourself enough time to check back in for your continuing flight to Utila.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about getting to Utila.

I like going Taca from DFW... of course, I live in Dallas, so perhaps the reasoning. I found Taca to be very good, good service, smooth ride and ALL of my luggage showed up on time! The fun thing about Taca was they serve FREE drinks (or did on my flight) from LARGE bottles and had a FULL meal on the plane. This was POST 9/11 but a couple years ago, so things may have changed. DFW to Houston is not bad either!

At least your luggage showed up at all. Taking a connecting TACA flight from Central America can be a hassel, or even taking a direct flight from the mainland in C.A.They are infamous for putting luggage on the wrong planes. I would know, I live in Honduras and have to deal with them regularly when ever I fly.

Dark_Wolf:
At least your luggage showed up at all. Taking a connecting TACA flight from Central America can be a hassel, or even taking a direct flight from the mainland in C.A.They are infamous for putting luggage on the wrong planes. I would know, I live in Honduras and have to deal with them regularly when ever I fly.
Only flew them once, and it wasn't bad, but have read too much about them here...
DandyDon:
Connecting in Houston with Continental is generally a better experience than taking TACA non-stop from DFW. There's a nice BarBQ cafe in the international terminal there, good eats for an airport.
jumping-smiley-027.gif

Where are the good deals for Anthony's Key Resort? I only see the standard rack rates. Any suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom