Roatan in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great, thanx...
Murk? meaning 3-5' vis or 0-1' and surge? or just bad vis... a typicall dive day up here is about 10-20' so a bad one would be 2-3'...
thanx again, I'll leave you alone after this one.. ;-))
You've been a great help..

We never dove the AKR lagoon, but heard that it makes a fairly good night dive. The "murk" he is talking about comes from the fact that the lagoon is also part of the channel for AKR, BIBR, and some private boats to get outside the reef. It can get some slight current running through if the waves are up, and that stirs up sediment. When we dropped off the boat for the weight check the first day, I would guess vis was 30'+ with a bunch of divers standing on the bottom stirring up the muck. It depends on how much wave action and rain they have had, but the water can be fairly clear there and there are reportedly alot of interesting critters that reside down there. The underwater light they turn on at night reportedly attracts rays and other larger predators.

AKR also offers shore diving from the back end of the key facing onto the "front porch" dive site. That is the site where they do the dolphin dives, so when the dolphin dives are in progress (usually the same time as the boat diving), there is no shore diving allowed there. Based on what I know of the dolphin dive site, it is a series of large sandy areas with coral ridges in between them. Probably a good place to look for eels, rays, and flounder. Might also be a good area for jawfish and blennies that burrow in sand. We did not do the shore dive, but people we asked about it said it was ok. Certainly not the quality of the Prince Albert or the CoCo View Wall, but still a reasonable quality dive if you are the type to go slow and look carefully for the less visible critters. I have always thought that I would like to do Front Porch as dive without the dolphins there sometime, because I really enjoy laying in the sand observing a coral ridge for shy creatures.

... I just noticed that there are TWO aggie divers on this board. We have AggieDiver & Aggie Diver. I hope you two don't ever post on the same thread!

Ok, all, this was certainly a great help... gives some prespective to the trip.. and what to plan for... I guess as long as the water is wet and the beer is cold, it just keeps getting better...
till the next time... didn't mean to hi-jack the tread from Koolaidjob, but suspect there's info he can use too...
Catch ya on the Flip-flop...

archman:
... I just noticed that there are TWO aggie divers on this board. We have AggieDiver & Aggie Diver. I hope you two don't ever post on the same thread!

Is that why you're neither one? Gawd, how many Aggies are we allowed to have.

Note: You gotta' live in Texas to fully appreciate Texas A&M Aggies!! Wonder if I could tell my Aggie Vet story on a PG-13 SB? Nah...

I unfortunately noticed my mistake the other day. It appears that Aggie Diver had the name before me, so I will probably find a new handle to post under to avoid any confusion. Its too bad that the User CP won't let you change your handle so I wouldn't have to start over completely.

AggieDiver:
I unfortunately noticed my mistake the other day. It appears that Aggie Diver had the name before me, so I will probably find a new handle to post under to avoid any confusion. Its too bad that the User CP won't let you change your handle so I wouldn't have to start over completely.

Ask a Modertor for help changing your User Name. It can be done...

In comparison, starting over with a second User Name is frowned on; see TOS, reference "Sock Puppets"

It will be hot. It's only April but temps. in Belize hit 99F with 117F heat index today and it's getting hotter. I was also here last August with same kind of weather..it isn't the best time time but hotel rates are lower and there are less people.

caribechica:
It will be hot. It's only April but temps. in Belize hit 99F with 117F heat index today and it's getting hotter. I was also here last August with same kind of weather..it isn't the best time time but hotel rates are lower and there are less people.

Yeah - but do what I did in July. Wear loose clothes, and get in the water several times a day...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom