Roatan in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This seems to be the problem with other threads on Roatan, the diving there seems to be very political....at least on this board.

You all have provided some good incites but are also apparently emotionally or professionally tied to various resorts or outfits.

So before you all start going back and forth, lets just let the info provided stand as they are and hopefully let hear from some more diverse names about their experiences down on Roatan.

From what I've taken from the thread so far is that, there are sand fleas but who cares, and that the seas really not that rough in the summer without a storm blowing.

HowieDean:
Never-mind

well, if you're just gonna edit out your post with differing opinions like that, then my response and call for more input just seems silly. :11ztongue

HowieDean:
Doc talked about the far EAST end - You might consider Paya Bay they are located on the far East end of the island and dive out where hardly anybody goes. They are also probably one of the nicest resorts on the island. I think they even have some vacancies in July..

Paya Bay is truly the most single beautiful piece of real estate on Roatan. The beach is stunning and the view afforded of it by the promontory occupied by the main building is called "Alligator Nose"... and that describes it pretty well. Not by any means handicapped accessable, but oh-my-oh-my, what a view! It seems to be a resort of very limited reliability, and I'm not sure if they own the dive boats that they use or if they come from...? It's not much of a dive resort, really, but oh- the possibilities in the future as Roatan develops!

Howie- have you ever really checked it out in detail? I have been visiting the property (and the old Spyglass Hill resort) for many years, but have seen very little activity and have fielded limited reports of marginal dive op both from vacationers as well as the local Bay Islands DM's. You have a reality check on this place?

You have to be curious at $975 (!) per week and touting 'scuba diving school' with no mention of agency.

I have only eaten at the restraunt so far. We have been out around there diving off the sailboat a couple of times. I have made aragments to spend a night and dive with them when I'm down first week in May. So I'll have a better handle on it then.

From what I've been hearing from my friends June and July are going to be very busy this year. Think it's going to be hard to get a place to stay at the majors. Just trying to let people know there are other options.

My friend Greg over at AKR knows one of the DM's out there and he seems to think they're ok. But then he's a local and they don't think quite the way we do.

If the Inn sells I can assure you that Paya Bay will be my new hang-out. It's about the last pristeen place on the island.

Chaseh:
This seems to be the problem with other threads on Roatan, the diving there seems to be very political....at least on this board.

You all have provided some good incites but are also apparently emotionally or professionally tied to various resorts or outfits.

So before you all start going back and forth, lets just let the info provided stand as they are and hopefully let hear from some more diverse names about their experiences down on Roatan.

From what I've taken from the thread so far is that, there are sand fleas but who cares, and that the seas really not that rough in the summer without a storm blowing.

We were in Roatan last July. We stayed on West Bay beach and dove with Bananarama ( bananaramadive.com ) We were on the North side of the Island, and like stated before, the water was like glass. We got lucky I guess, because we never even had a strong wind, let alone any rain. We took a day to dive with "the Italians" on the south side, and it was rough! I didn't enjoy having to hold on for dear life while headed for the dive sites. Oh, and the sand fleas were worse on the South side of the Island than on the North side while we were there. We got eaten up while we were at the Italian place. I think it was because of the area, very dirty. West bay beach was raked and sprayed for sand fleas everyday that we were there. We visited AKR for the dolphin encounter, and if they have a beach somewhere, I never saw it. We spent a lot of time on the beach when we weren't diving, and I wouldn't want to stay somewhere there wasn't one. From what I've heard, CoCoView sounds great, but I just don't like the rough water, when I can have flat glassy water instead. I guess I look at like this, IF you really can see the same things at any resort (and I don't know, I'm just paraphrasing here) then I would rather enjoy my ride to the dive sites than be slammed around on the trip out! That's my 2 cents.

Chaseh:

QUOTE]

I really don't think you'll hear from anyone that responds about Roatan that has any financial connection that isn't announced in their signature line or in their avaitar thingie. Emotional? You bet.. and for a lot of reasons.

First and foremost: Dive ops on Roatan are some of the single most hospitable, friendly and welcoming. You rarely ever hear anything short of adjectives such as "friendly, family feeling, the nicest", etc. The state of the economic development of the island puts many DM's at the top of the food chain in the working class. Why not have a nice day? They are! These are really cooperative, interesting people. They do, at the same time, suffer from a Honduran malady- they will tell you always what you want to hear as an answer to any question, whether trite or deeply probing. It is the way.

I would guess that the impressions that you get about posts of these Bay Islands comes from pure ignorance upon the part of the posters- rife on every board, but magnified when it comes to Roatan for several reasons. But first, a parable:

Seven blind men were lead to an Elephant, and they were then challenged to describe the beast. The fist says (as he was touching the tail) "It is that of a rope!". The second man was touching the trunk and says, "It is like a snake!", the third was touching the leg and thought, "It is the trunk of a tree!" and so on...

Seven blind men have gone to Roatan and they are posting madly on the internet. No-one understands if they have had a bad experience if this is the only experience that they have ever had! Note the posts from people on their first dive trip to Jamaica or Grand Bahama and are absolutely sure that it's the best place ever! Think about it.

No one, after sepending money and time at a dive resort on vacation cares to think that they may possibly have had less than a stellar experience. Combine with that the varying expectations that travellers have about their trips. I myself want one thing, diving. Other people may want varying degrees and quantities of diving combined with other activities... but few will admit to wanting to drink all night. Presenting oneself as a "diver" first is very important for many people. I have no problem with folks who want less than 4x a day plus 1 night dive, but those who I dive with, I call divers. My standards. The others? They call themselves what they want, I enjoy yacking with them after my night dives!

It is an unfortunate thing that one can't instantly see by the stripes on a poster's arm :wink: what their base and breadth of experience is as they are relating their perceptions of a resort. (remember the blind guys above?)

If you read a poster's report, look at their prior posts and determine this knowledge base- that's your only way to know who or what you're dealing with.

All in all, you're going to find more accurate, less biased, and better qualified info here on Scuba Board than any other source. The internet usenet newsgroup called rec.scuba.locations is excellent, but not all that well attended. An internet search using Google Groups, utilizing search words of : rec.scuba roatan will get you a wealth of information.

Many folks think that Undercurrent and the Chapbook, or another large internet source ScubaDiving dot com is the cats meow for dive destination information. I do not.

You've got the right website, ScubaBoard, just understand that almost everyone is in love with the last resort that they spent a week. It's universal- nothing more sinister than that.

Paya Bay is a beautiful spot with very nice rooms and the McNab family (the owners) are very nice people who will go out of their way to make you feel at home. If you want to stay somewhere far from town and enjoy beautiful quiet beaches this is your spot. I love the east end and go to Camp Bay beach often- we have always wanted to dive over there and have attempted to go with Paya Bay more than once. The problem is that the water over on the far east side is rougher than other parts of the island (the reef is further from shore) and if you get any weather at all it seems that the dive boat doesn't go out. It looked like a very small boat and operation, and they operate out of a rocky cove that looks more difficult for loading and unloading.
It has been a while since we checked with them so they may have improved their dive operations in the event of bad weather, but hopefully this will help you with what kinds of questions you would like answered before making reservations. If you do stay there enjoy it- IMHO Paya Bay is the prettiest resort on the island!

Hi to all on Scuba Board:

I'm the Dive Operations Manager at Paya Bay Resort and Dive Roatan on Roatan's east end. I just recently got a heads up from a friend that there were some questions about Paya Bay Resort on this thread. I thought i would take a moment to clarify any questions, concerns or comments.

Paya Bay Resort is actually one of Roatan's premier boutique hotels. We are located on Roatan's unspoiled east end about 15 minutes to the east of Oakridge following the dirt road. Those who have made the trek out know it is definitely one of the most beautiful locations on the island and for sure the most unexplored. Our resort is located atop a bluff overlooking the ocean, and has two beaches on each side. Our 11 rooms were uniquely designed to give guests superb views of the nature surrounding them. The resort is also handicap accessible. We pride ourselves on being "Roatan's Ultimate Escape." So yes it is a small resort with only 11 rooms and that is how we plan on staying. This allows us to give the guests truly personalized service.

The on site dive operation, Dive Roatan, caters to any of our guests water needs. From scuba diving, and snorkeling to flats fishing. Dive Roatan has two shops at the resort: One which you see as you drive in on the beach and the other shop on the backside of the property at our docks. The docks are in a protected canal which is where we store our 3 boats for easy access. The boats vary in size with the largest being able to accommodate 16 divers for a two tank dive. However, we limit our divers to only 10 per week. This too makes for a much more comfortably and relaxing time in the water.

Dive Roatan is a full service Scuba School as our instructors are able to teach a variety of courses through different organizations. Plus with the Global Referral program we can accept nearly any student regardless of their referral agency. The best part of diving at Paya Bay are the unexplored reefs. Many divers have been able to go out and even find a new site. Plus diving is even personalized at Paya Bay. We tailor the week around what the divers want to do. You can even determine what time to go out at if you like. Our moorings are located from Milton's Bight thru Camp Bay and we have several around St. Helene and Barbareta (islands to the east of Roatan). We maintain our own sites and are the only dive boat out on the water. So not even a worry about another boat dropping divers any where near you! During the winter months when the weather gets rough, we move our boats to our dock on the south side so the guests are still able to dive.

The guests staying at Paya Bay are looking for relaxation and exploration. Most of our guests have been to Roatan before and are looking to get away from the crowds, to come and escape. However Paya Bay is not for everyone. If someone wants to come to Roatan to party all night, I send them over to west end, if they want 5 dives a day there are other places for that. Roatan is an amazing and diverse island. It features some of the best scuba diving and I feel it is a place everyone should come and experience at least once. Each part of Roatan offers something unique and travelers just need to decide what they are personally looking for out of a vacation.

Feel free to check out our website listed below or ask me any other questions. Hope I was able to clear up any of the questions out there.

Thanks,
Justin McGowan

RoatanMan:
You have to be curious at $975 (!) per week and touting 'scuba diving school' with no mention of agency.

At least I know I am not the only one who felt the same way. :06:

Alex

Back
Top Bottom