Roatan Rocks!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cajuncru Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just returned home from 2 wks on Roatan....10/10 to 10/25. We were at Fantasty Island from 10/10 until 10/18 and then moved over to the North side staying at Anthony's Key until the 25th. Weather and diving was fantastic except for Monday & Tuesday the 18th and 19th. We wanted to compare the diving on the North side but 1st two days we were bussed over to the South side because of rough conditions on the North side. AKA folks were great about organizing and rearranging the diving because of the weather and handled it very professionally.
It must be "Amoure" season because the Creole Wrasse, nudibrands, Flamingo Tongues and even the 4 eyed butterflyfish were being extra friendly with one another.
Diving with Fantasy Island on the South side was great and we were able to see a wide variety of fish life. Mainly smaller life, the Arrow Crabs, nudibrands, Flamingo Tongues, Wrasse, Butterflyfish, Lobster, Banded Coral Shrimp, Pederson Shrimp, Spotted and Green Moray's, Scorpion Fish......and a few too many Lionfish.
This trip the contrast in fish life on the North side was evident. On our first dive at Green Outhouse Wall we swam with 4 Hawksbill Turtles. The entire week saw a wide variety of large Grouper, very large Cubera Snapper, huge Midnight Parrotfish and we had a great time.....here are a few of CajunDiva's pictures ...

Attachments

• PICT0135.jpg
    PICT0135.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 66
  • PICT0143.jpg
    PICT0143.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 60
  • PICT0083.jpg
    PICT0083.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 58
  • PICT0101.jpg
    PICT0101.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 58
  • PICT0118.jpg
    PICT0118.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 65
  • PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 48
  • PICT0010.jpg
    PICT0010.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 53
Hi Martha: We had a great time...hope you enjoy your stay December as much as we did.....(ps. We might just be back around that time)

Interesting comparison between the two different parts of the island. CajunDiva took some nice pictures too. Thanks for sharing them.

I managed to find a Hawksbill on Pirate's Point and a Reef Tip on Mary's Place along with too many lionfish last week.

PS nice pics. I will have to post my Hawksbill pics and a few others once I size them down.

Hi Martha: We had a great time...hope you enjoy your stay December as much as we did.....(ps. We might just be back around that time)

I have no doubt that we'll enjoy our stay. It would really be nice to get the chance to meet you. When were you thinking about going? We'll be there 12/19-12/26.

Yeah the diving is superb right now, after six years living here, i am seeing some of the best diving i have for years. I guess the season has been kind on us this year!
We needed it given all the political rumours putting visitors off. The boats are empty and most dives are staff dives, which means we have 6-8 pairs of trained eyes out there spotting every tiny little critter!

Yeah the diving is superb right now, after six years living here, i am seeing some of the best diving i have for years. I guess the season has been kind on us this year!
We needed it given all the political rumours putting visitors off. The boats are empty and most dives are staff dives, which means we have 6-8 pairs of trained eyes out there spotting every tiny little critter!

When we were there last Nov (stayed at CCV), I was pretty amazed at the fishlife. I had always heard that Roatan doesn't have great fishlife, just great macro. I found that was NOT true, the fishlife seemed to be doing quite well and I saw just as good variety as at other Caribbean dive destinations. The only thing we didn't see all week was turtles or rays, but other divers did see those while we were there so I know they exist. :D As for the macro life, yes OH yes, macro heaven! We were thrilled with all the seahorses and pipefish and blennies and nudies. Roatan's lush reefs are fabulous and stay over a single coralhead for a dive and you will see so many different species of marinelife. :D I am really looking forward to going back there in March with my new HD camcorder and my hubby is anxious to get there with his new Dslr camera rig. :banana:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom