Roatan Trip report (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee:
We go to Roatan every year (only 16 days to go!) and stay at CCV. Every year for the past 4 years one of FI's boats has either broken down or sunk. Seems they would figure out boat maintainence!

Mary's place is cool. The top is usually a great place to find seahorses.

Yeah, they need dependable boats at FIBR. I never got stuck on a bad one, but it can happen.

At least FIBR has PFDs on their boats. The CCV boat I was on that broke down didn't, nor a Fire Extinguisher.

:D

In regards to the two male divers who were together for a few days with us, I was finning along on a particular dive, fat, dumb, and happy, when I look over at the older of the two guys, and I see to my astonishment that his tank was completely out of it's strap, and floating Vertically, only restrained by the hoses, while he was horizontal. He was completly impervious to the situation.
So being the good samaritan I am, I swam over and tapped him on his shoulder in an attempt to start a dialog about the current condition. (as his partner was nowhere in sight) No response from him... I tap him again, this time more urgently, no response. He is just swiming along with out a care in the world.
I finally got behind him and started to attempt to fix his tank, and he still appeared to not know anything was going on. He's still finnig casually along. I was thinking at his point I should just let him be, as maybe he likes his tank like that.
But I perservered and got his tank back in. I was in a posture with this gentleman (if you know what I mean) that if you had come upon the scene at that very moment, you would have thought something VERY different was going on. When I let him go, he just swam merrilly along like nothing had ever happened. Kinda makes you wonder just how much attention this guy was paying to anything doesn't.
Later after the Dive I mentioned it to him, but he just thought I was bumping him he said. Jesh!! what a clueless bonehead!

diverrick:
I finally got behind him and started to attempt to fix his tank, and he still appeared to not know anything was going on. He's still finnig casually along. I was thinking at his point I should just let him be
As long as you both enjoyed it--- :54:

This is a very common occurance, and as you noticed, not the end of the world.

If he was really that oblivious, maybe not bother with touching him- it might have gone from harmless to awful very quickly. It's would be pretty harmless until he surfaces, at which point the mouthpiece would be tugged by the hose. Still not life threatening.

Sometimes it's best to just watch and be ready. With your observation and SCUBA skills, I would suggest quietly mentioning to the DM that he might want to keep his eye on this diver. Sounds like the DM had enough work, though.

To assist a more aware diver, he should be signalled from directly in front with a "wait here" gesture (both palms down, with a down up motion). Then go behind the diver and using your knees to brace the bottle, slide it in the strap and cam it closed.

There are fellow divers that are a danger to themselves, there are some that are of danger to others- it is our own responsibilty to make sure that they do not endanger us. To be a good samaritan, you gotta stay alive, first.

Back
Top Bottom