Roatan!! Wooot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goober2

Reaction score
I am so excited. I posted here right after I got my open water cert stating that we were headed for cozumel in february. Unfortunately, we can't make it happen due to Wilma and other circumstances so we frantically started searching for another vacation to take. I am so excited, we are headed to Roatan 4/22 for a week of diving. My very first "real" dive and I am headed to CENTRAL AMERICA!!

Anyone have any experiences they want to share?

We are staying at Las Rocas for 7 nights.:D

what is cactus juice and where do I get it :)

Goober2:
I am so excited.
Anyone have any experiences they want to share?

Follow your DM and go very slowly. Only he can find the truly cool small stuff that Roatan is known for. If they're not pointing out something new and cool on every dive, consider switching DMs, but they should be doing just fine!

Many experienced Bay Islands divers carry a magnifying glass (1 element glass)

While working alongside your DM, perfect your buoyancy so you can be ready to get in close for a look at the many Seahorses... and even cooler stuff!

The best bug repellant contains DEET. I have seen no-see-um bugs drinking Skin So Soft and using Cactus Juice for sun screen.

[when you are there, let them know that this wreck http://www.lasrocasresort.com/pictures3.htm is really on the South shore]

When we were there in March, we bought some at the airport. It can be found on-line through various sources: http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/

Hey, also, if you or your dive buddie are prone to sea sickness, you might want to being along some motion sickness meds. We found the seas to be alittle rough some days, and had quite a few divers hurling over the side.

Was at Las Rocas this time last year and had a great week - the "resort" isnt very resorty, it's in a great position away from the loud "italian" hotel along the beach. It a really lovely place in a really lovely setting - the cabanas are all built round a central garden and all have hammocks on the decks. The rooms are rustic in a good way and the tiny pool is a bit bigger than i thought it would be! We were picked up at the airport with 2 other couples and met some others when we got there - because the place is so small you get to know everyone pretty well. I bought a dive package with lodging which ended up being a really good deal - my friend who was doing her OW and abandoned it got her money back which was really nice of them. The staff were really good - sometimes there were shortages in the bar though (normally fruit for cocktails believe it or not)! I really enjoyed the diving - small groups - ours was 6 max i think, about 3 of my dives there was only 3 of us including DM. My favorite dive was "Blue Channel" awsome - swim throughs - 2 turtles too! Roatan man is right about not missing the small stuff, you can spend ages just staring at the same piece of reef (great for improving buoyancy!) Did a couple of night dives too which were fab (spooky as it was my first one)(Mandys eel garden). "Hole in the wall" was also a good dive. If you want any more info just PM me and i will see if i can find pics of the hotel or any UW ones - I'm sure you'll have an awsome time. By the way - i used Burts Bees bug stuff for the bugs - was the only ones who's legs werent bitten too bits!!! Hilary

I was in Roatan during Hurricane Wilma. We missed a day and a half of diving but had fun in spite of it all. Roatan is beautiful and the reef full of life. Be sure you get your malaria meds before going, and plenty of bug spray.

hil71:
Was at Las Rocas this time last year and had a great week - the "resort" isnt very resorty

Ok not resorty isnt a problem, as long as the diving is good... oh and I am sapposed to ask if they have coke or pepsi? lol

any pictures would be appreciated...

Dave Zimmerly:
Make sure you take some cactus juice for the no-seeum's. It's the only thing that really works.

What brand do you recommend?

You can get both Coke or Pepsi on the island, along with a variety of fruit flavored sodas that are really good.

Back
Top Bottom