Rockport Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artw:
I don't understand 4.1 and 4.2.
Earlier in the by-law they defined "swimming" to include scuba diving & snorkelling (3.1(c)). So you can't dive from the ramp or launch a boat from the ramp to dive from "within the prohibited area".

Does anyone know if which ever wreck is there and the wall are part of township lands? (ie the boundries of part lot, Part 1 of Plan 4347). It sounds like it only extends as far as the submerged end of the ramp.

From the looks of things that area is the roadway leading up to the launch ramp, the launch ramp proper, and the submerged portion of the kaunch ramp. What we really need to see is the actual land deed showing boundaries, since the documents keep referring to the area by Lot.

rcs_scuba:
Attached are the scanned images of the 3 page fax I received from town councel

Just for anyone's information, I dove the Rockport ramp tonight and verified and cleaned the line out to the Kinghorn.
Water temp throughout the dive was 67 degrees.
While returning to shore from the Kinghorn I was wondering, why don't we approach Jeff at Rockport Dive Center and run a new line from his dock to the Kinghorn?

Later

rcs_scuba:
Just for anyone's information, I dove the Rockport ramp tonight and verified and cleaned the line out to the Kinghorn.
Water temp throughout the dive was 67 degrees.
While returning to shore from the Kinghorn I was wondering, why don't we approach Jeff at Rockport Dive Center and run a new line from his dock to the Kinghorn?

Later

Someone has their thinking cap on.

The town of Rockport has had a hate on for divers for a very very long time.

Years ago (in 1996, when the one concrete dock was federally owned and thus open for all to freely access) we were down there for a Wednesday evening dive, and one of the locals berated us for being there.

He had had an issue with divers the night before who had sat on his dock and woke up his wife. He was in such a rage that he refused to listen to us. We were not the individuals in question. He maintained that we should know the divers (who he said were from Toronto - we were from Ottawa) and tell them to stay off his dock. He was beligerant and offensive and hated divers intensely.

I think he is a fairly typical example of the attitude of the Rockport locals towards divers.

Of course a few ignorant and disrespectul divers have contributed to this situation over the years.

I would have thought the disasterous 2002 and 2003 tourists seasons, plus the addition of a local dive business would have changed their attitude. I guess not.

Over the years the town of Rockport has been chipping away the access for divers to the local waters.

electric_diver:
The town of Rockport has had a hate on for divers for a very very long time. ..

This never ceases to amaze me. Everywhere else it seems to be the opposite- Weren't Florida & Texas just last year fighting over the rights to an old navy ship soon to be an artificial reef? ie, doing everything they can to attract MORE divers?

Maybe all the Rockport business owners are concerned that they're making too much money and it would be too annoying to have more customers looking for food, hotels, overpriced gasoline,....

Just another $0.02 from a sales-guy who doesn't take business for granted! (Except when I take off early to go diving....)

Matt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom