Roman Coins In Florida Waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I don't believe that spent any time in saltwater. I have dug plenty of coins from the beaches, and I've never seen copper or copper alloy comes out that clean and crisp.

Coin # 2 of 18 "Eagle"

Weight: 3.7g

Length: 21mm

Color: Bronze

Impression: Thin coin with good relief Medium Thickness

Front: Bust wearing a 5 band crown with the inscription DIVOCIIROPIO n.b. the "II" could possibly be an "H"

Back: An Eagle with the inscription NSFCHHTI at the bottom there appears to be a distinct 0..1..0

Coin #2 001.jpgCoin #2 002.jpgCoin #2 003.jpgCoin #2 004.jpg

n.b. I could be wrong about the letters on the coin. When I look through the magnify glass, I'm assigning them my closes interpretation to the letters that I know.

---------- Post Merged at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Coin # 3 of 18 "Goddess with possible trident"

Weight: 3.3g

Length: 22mm

Color: Bronze

Impression: Coin is medium thickness with a small crack. The back of the coin shows some heavy oxidation around the goddess.

Front: bust is wearing a five band crown and has a beard. His hair texture appears wavy.

Back: Oxidized around Goddess (Red and Green) with goddess possibly holding a trident and horn.

n.b. some letters looked odd and could be from another alphabet.

Coin # 3 Trident Goddess 001.jpgCoin # 3 Trident Goddess 002.jpgCoin # 3 Trident Goddess 003.jpgCoin # 3 Trident Goddess 004.jpgCoin # 3 Trident Goddess 005.jpgCoin # 3 Trident Goddess 006.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Coin # 4 of 18

Weight: 1.9g

Length: 18mm

Impression: Thin bronze coin with good relief detail.

Front: Bust with a long hooked-nose wearing a toga and laurel on his head.

Back: Man standing in a ship holding "Nike" and a staff. Other figure is sitting and holding two objects in his hands (may possibly have wings)

Coin # 4 Men In Ship 002.jpgCoin # 4 Men In Ship 003.jpgCoin # 4 Men In Ship 004.jpgCoin # 4 Men In Ship 007.jpgCoin # 4 Men In Ship 008.jpg

p.s. I was able to see them in much greater size and detail, when I uploaded them to my gallery photos.

Coin one is pretty clearly from the reign of Domitian (Domitian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Coin two is from the time of Antonius Pius (Antoninus Pius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Coin three is Gallenius (Gallienus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Coin four is Constantine I (the DN at the beginning stands for Dominus Noster)

In other words: Your coins already cover several centuries - they cannot come from one wreck but are pretty clearly a coin collection. As fire diver said: They are in very good condition. I have personally digged out far worse examples - and they were younger, in earth instead of salt water and mild European climate. This is not some ancient treasure...

Last edited:
I think I have coin # 1 identified. A Roman Domitian Coin Forged in 71 AD This would have been during Domitian's 1st consulship = COS

---------- Post Merged at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Coin one is pretty clearly from the reign of Domitian (Domitian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Coin two is from the time of Antonius Pius (Antoninus Pius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Coin three is Gallenius (Gallienus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Coin four is Constantine I (the DN at the beginning stands for Dominus Noster)

In other words: Your coins already cover several centuries - they cannot come from one wreck but are pretty clearly a coin collection. As fire diver said: They are in very good condition. I have personally digged out far worse examples - and they were younger, in earth instead of salt water and mild European climate. This is not some ancient treasure...

Awesome... Now that you have pointed out names, I can clearly see them on coins #1 #3 and #4 (I don't see anything on #2 to indicate a A. PIUS) . I'm currently reading "Reading And Dating Roman Imperial Coins" by Zander Klawans, so that I can be more informed about these coins. Out of the 18 coins, I obviously picked the most legible ones to be examined first. Thank you for your help.

I am pretty sure the Romans did make it to Florida but they only came for vacations and such. They showed up, got drunk, caught some undersized lobsters and then posted somewhere about the crappy Nazi-like law enforcement we have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom