Question Roo's WTF-is-that-creature Thread (Several Images incoming :) )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Koalaroo

Bubblebabbler
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All these IDs I need from SEQ -

North Stradbroke Island, Amity Point, QLD.
Depth: No deeper than 2 metres (we were snorkeling)

1)
52706118598_686df2190c.jpg

2)
52705876704_ee508ffb2c.jpg

Julien Rocks, Byron Bay, NSW
They were probably at around 4-5m, while I snorkeled above:

3)
52693840764_6cf69193b4.jpg

I have a ton more that need IDs on my photo stream & Facebook. If anyone is keen in providing IDs there, you'd be more than welcome <3 But the top three are my prio as I hadn't ever seen any of them :)

Top one: Cornetfish, Fistularia commersonii

Middle: Looks like a Banded Dascyllus, Dascyllus aruanus

Bottom: looks like squid

If you're really interested in learning about the different critters, may I suggest you get a book on the subject of local marine life or Indo-Pacific reef fish.

Top one: Cornetfish, Fistularia commersonii

Middle: Looks like a Banded Dascyllus, Dascyllus aruanus

Bottom: looks like squid

If you're really interested in learning about the different critters, may I suggest you get a book on the subject of local marine life or Indo-Pacific reef fish.

I knew the bottom was a Squid, but there are many different squids and I was curious about the subspecies :) All good.

A Fish ID book is on my bucket list of books to get, I just still haven't made up my mind of which one I'd like to get. With Bird ID books/apps, I'm fairly sure of which brand/authors I like and follow, but I do not know which to go for in the Fish world.

Any special recommendations?

I am sure there must be some books on local fish ID available, perhaps @clownfishsydney can chime in here as I'm no expert on Aussie fish.

Then you'll need to get a book on nudibranchs once you start getting interested in them, which you're bound to as there are some amazing species in Oz.

I have a very old copy of Indo Pacific Coral Reef Field Guide that covers fish and invertebrates by Dr. Gerald R. Allen and Roger Steene ISBN981-00-5687-7 published in 1994.

Some of the photos are rather poor though, but it does cover lots of stuff from corals to crabs to fish.

Reef Fish Identification Tropical Pacific by Gerald Allen, Roger Steene, Paul Humann, and Ned Deloach and this book has far better images, possibly due to the advent of digital photography (?) ISBN 978-1-878348-36-4

Allen and Steene are both Aussies and I met Dr. Allen in Indonesia about 10 years ago during one of my trips to Indonesia, not a lot he doesn't know about fish.

How odd. Only found one second hand. All good :) I ordered it and got my shipping confirmation. Should be here soon!

How odd. Only found one second hand. All good :) I ordered it and got my shipping confirmation. Should be here soon!
If you looked it up by the ISBN that Searcaigh gave you, that is for the first edition.

Do a search at your local library, ours has a good selection of marine fish books.
They also do 'interlibrary loans with Brisbane', start with Brisbane and they will do the search for you [works for me].

Edit: Mine has this one: Field guide to marine fishes of tropical Australia and South-East Asia

Do a search at your local library, ours has a good selection of marine fish books.
They also do 'interlibrary loans with Brisbane', start with Brisbane and they will do the search for you [works for me].

Edit: Mine has this one: Field guide to marine fishes of tropical Australia and South-East Asia

I didn’t even think of the library! Brain blank *lol* I shouldn’t be young enough to forget about libraries!

Thanks so much :)
I’ll spend some time there tomorrow and edit my photos with the right IDs where I can find them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom