Rote Learning vs. Understanding Concepts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great response, Leapfrog! I agree with everything you said.

The only problem I have is that my buddy was trained to do something that doesn't make any sense. I see your point that training (vs. education) is more appropriate for the OW student, but what about the instructor? Shouldn't they be able to explain the reasons why behind everything they train?

Would you say that education or training is more appropriate for scuba instructors?

Great response, Leapfrog! I agree with everything you said.

The only problem I have is that my buddy was trained to do something that doesn't make any sense. I see your point that training (vs. education) is more appropriate for the OW student, but what about the instructor? Shouldn't they be able to explain the reasons why behind everything they train?

Would you say that education or training is more appropriate for scuba instructors?

There is a little (or a lot, really) of both going on.

I believe an instructor should be able to answer the question "why?" at any time. When I was a classroom teacher, I always told students at the beginning of the course that if I told them to do anything and could not explain "why" in terms that made sense, they were free to ignore me. That is an academic response appropriate for concepts like decompression theory.

I think the term "training" as it is being used in this thread refers more to basic skills than academic knowledge. Academic knowledge can be learned to the point of understanding and then left alone. Skills need to be drilled to the point of proficiency. Mask clearing is an example, as is finning technique. I used to coach basketball, and if I were to use the most expert "why" instructional process possible in explaining the jump shot and did not then provide plenty or drilled practice, the results would have been laughable.

When did this change come about? I am a lapsed NAUI instructor trainer. We had a standard "workshop" model format for the longest time. That being said - you were allowed to mix it up without being penalized for off-format lesson delivery.

X

That's what I'm talking about ... the basic format ...

- Intro
- In this module you will learn
- Learning points
- What you have learned so far
- More learning points
- Review of what you learned
- Summary
- Questions

As an instructor I'm free to mix it up all I want ... but during the IE, my course director was adamant that I was required to stick to the format for all my presentations.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The PADI instructional process for presentations (microteaching) that I had to learn for the IE was misunderstood by a lot of people. It was a microcosm of the entire teaching process, a way of demonstrating the full range of what should happen in presentations to an examiner. It did not mean that in real life every question needs to be answered in a full 12-15 minute presentation following a specified pattern. It did, however, teach a range of processes that should be used when providing information to students.

I suspect the NAUI process was similar.

....The only problem I have is that my buddy was trained to do something that doesn't make any sense. I see your point that training (vs. education) is more appropriate for the OW student, but what about the instructor? Shouldn't they be able to explain the reasons why behind everything they train?

Here you go again! Pounding away...just kidding:D

I may have been lazy when you wanted to explain to me why I was holding the pressure gauge on top of the first stage while opening the valve. Unfortunately if your buddy is your significant other it is sometimes very hard to keep that relationship out of the way while diving. I think we had made huge progress but there is still more work to do. At the end I did listen to what you wanted to say. Didn't I?

During my OP class the instructor explained to me why it was a good idea to keep the pressure gauge away from my face while opening the valve. Does it really matter where you put that bloody pressure gauge? Whether on top of the first stage or on the ground faced down? I don't think it does.

As a beginner diver and with the kind of experience that I had during my OP class, I can only say that it seems to me that instructors are always pressed with time while teaching a class, unless you are fortunate enough to be able to afford private lessons. That's what I 'hated' most of all of my OP class. It was always a rush to get to the next topic and there was never enough time for questions etc...

The OW class is really an 'introduction' to diving and students have to take it for what it is. They also have to take the responsibility to dive on a regular basis, get more 'introductory' training, keep asking questions and expand what they have assimilated during the class by whatever means (reading books, blogging etc.) after they are through with it if they really want to begin to LEARN something.

Last edited:
Oh, it is so much fun to see ANOTHER couple having their diving-related marital battles in public on line . . . :)

Betty, it never really stops. But people do get a chuckle out of reading about it.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, 'cause I'm...

But seriously, folks, I think our relationship-based dive bickering has improved a whole bunch, and this event is a good example, because she DID listen to what I wanted to say, eventually. And mainly it has to do with the fact that we both put a lot of effort into trying to be more considerate of the other partner, and LISTEN more. It really wasn't a big deal, and we do sometimes go on sounding cranky to the unfamiliar passersby, often for a somewhat intentional comic effect.

I mean, yes, there are serious things being discussed here, but can't we have a little fun at the same time? YES!

L'amore non e' bello se non e' littigarello!

Back
Top Bottom