Ruptured blood vessels in eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend of mine had this happen on Tioman, West Malaysia. There was no white left in either eye. I asked him if he felt pain on decent and he said no. He also did well equalizing his ears, which you would think would lead to a little air going into his mask from his nose, but......He looked normal again after about a week. He made kids cry. It was like a monster in a movie.

I had this happen to me on a deep dive op in the Philippines in the early 80's. I had to get deep and I had to get there fast, and this was the result. It only happened that one time. No pain, no symptoms, no discomfort, and absolutely no white in my eyes - just brilliant crimson.
It was a way cool effect - here I was topside in a staunchly Catholic country and I looked like Satan himself casting for souls. People passing me in the street making eye contact would actually cross themselves. The corpsman just told me to stay away from anyone with pink eye which was floating around some of the ships there.
It healed up in a few weeks uneventfully.
It was probably a good thing I was not stationed in eastern Europe then - the Romanians probably would have tried to put a stake through my heart. Probably some of my guys would have helped them too.

I had a student suffer a serious mask squeeze.

Upon decent the student actually claimed to have impared vision before equalizing her mask. After which she felt fine. When we surfaced 30 seconds later, she appeared to have 2 black eyes. Over the course of the day the eyes both swelled considerably, and all of the white in both eyes was replaced with red.

Called DAN, and had her visit the local doctors office. They basically said that she just need to rest it off, and only time would heal it.

junko:
Do mask squeezes only happen upon descent?

Yes. As you ascend, the air expands and will just blow out between your mask and face.

Back
Top Bottom