Russian citizen mauled to death by tiger shark off Egypt's Red Sea coast in rare attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How else can you prove it was the particular shark? This is typical Amity plot, catch some big shark to sooth the public to ensure tourists are not scared. They will probably call some shark expert to asses the situation, perhaps they would do an autopsy at that stage. And later they will announce that it was the mating season (this it what was said last year) drawing the sharks there, which is total bs imho because tigers mate 1nce every 3 years and between March and May. No word on this could be caused by human activity.
Do all tiger sharks mate on the same year every three years, or do roughly 1/3 mate each year?

Do all tiger sharks mate on the same year every three years, or do roughly 1/3 mate each year?
I don’t think there is enough data over Red Sea TS but I would guess if there is such aggregation, number of females would be 1/3 and males at normal. But to have exact numbers we need to know the population and gender distribution. There are so few reported sightings of TS that it is even absurd to blame it on mating behavior.

I don’t think there is enough data over Red Sea TS but I would guess if there is such aggregation, number of females would be 1/3 and males at normal. But to have exact numbers we need to know the population and gender distribution. There are so few reported sightings of TS that it is even absurd to blame it on mating behavior.
You don't normally see Tigers in very shallow water in the Red Sea, but mating might explain them coming into the shallows - I don't know enough about TS to know whether shallow water is part of their mating thing or not.

You don't normally see Tigers in very shallow water in the Red Sea, but mating might explain them coming into the shallows - I don't know enough about TS to know whether shallow water is part of their mating thing or not.
Isn't that contradictory, if they were coming into shallows for mating, they would have been seen.

THIS

if you look at the shark attack in Egypt over the past 10 years mre than half is around Eid alAdha.

Google tells me this the day of slaughter. Can it be that substantial animal remains were dumped in nearby waters by the local population triggering the frenzied attack?

Google tells me this the day of slaughter. Can it be that substantial animal remains were dumped in nearby waters by the local population triggering the frenzied attack?
One hypothesis that was made after the multiple attacks at Sharm El Sheikh in 2010 was that the sheep for slaughter are typically imported by sea; animals that die in transit are thrown overboard (along with presumably the byproducts of a lot of nervous penned-up sheep). Pelagic sharks are known to follow ships dumping carcasses and offal; that might explain why in 2010 there were oceanic whitetips and at least one mako attacking swimmers off the beaches.

Some of the theories are contradicting: throwing carcasses of dead sheep that died during livestock shipping is usually in deep waters far from the cost, so why the TS was almost beached on the shore?

Another theory that the area is suffering from overfishing, so the shark went to the shore, where perhaps people feed fish with bread crumbs etc. to attract fish and the shark took the opportunity too. But if livestock ships are throwing overboard dead animals, that presents a much better easy meal opportunity for a TS

Then I read the TS could be pregnant and was looking for an easy meal near the shore.

Breeding? Then there would be an abundance of shark sightings on daily basis, which isn't the case in this area.

Unfortunately, we may never know what really happened and why. These types of attacks are relatively rare, although there are shark attacks in the region every few years as was mentioned in this thread (the 2010 multiple shark attack incidents in Sharm were attributed to Oceanic white tips and Mako, both usually not near shores), but not as many as in the US, Australia etc. probably also less people engaged in water activities too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom