Russian destroyer 356 off Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AtomicWalrus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be spending my honeymoon at Brac Reef Beach Resort in Cayman Brac, and I'm really looking forward to diving on the frigate 356. I've read quite a few dive guides saying that it's easily penetrated, but none of them refer to using a reel and proper wreck penetration techniques. Has anyone been there recently who can comment on diving on the wreck? What's the condition of the wreck like? I know that it's broken into 2 pieces now - any more recent deterioration?

This is going to be pretty cool - I've done diving on the Canadian destroyers sunk as artificial reefs around BC, and now I get to check out an "opposition" vessel!

Thanks,

There are a few areas that have been sealed off, at least they were in the beginning.
I was just there in April (on the Brac). The 356 isn't anything super special, being that I have dove a number of wrecks in the Great Lakes because that's where I live. The best part is that the water is alot warmer on the Brac, the fish are more beautiful and there is always a chance to see a pelagic or two.

It was in pretty bad shape four years ago, having broken apart.

Frigate!
Calling a frigate a destroyer is like calling a porsche a pickup.
Rick

Sorry - really should know better than to call 356 a destroyer! Especially given that up here in Canada, we consider our 5900 ton Halifax-class a frigate!

Rick Murchison:
Frigate!
Calling a frigate a destroyer is like calling a porsche a pickup.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Heyheyhey, watch your mouth, this is a family board. :11:

I liked this wreck, it was pretty cool, and pretty large, too. Not the most mind-blowing wreck I have ever seen, but it's worth the dive. It's relatively open and easy to penetrate, but I didn't, so I can't comment. others in my group did enter the wreck with no reels.

Pelagics are often spotted there, and there's a very big flat of garden eels off to the starboard side of the wreck, as I recall. A lone male bottlenose dolphin lived at or near that wreck for a while a few years ago, I forget what his name was, but he and Liz from Divi Tiara were featured on the cover of Rodale's Scuba Diving a couple of years ago. I am told he isn't around anymore though.

Asked the question when I was there 3yrs ago. "Mainstreet" the long hall running down the length of the ship is considered a swim thru since you can see the other end. Just don't go into any of the side rooms.

Was told similar info about wrecks when I was in the Keys a couple of weeks ago. They said if you can see the end and its a clear swim, it is alright to "swim thru". The shop repeated not to go into any side rooms.

The serious wreck/cave divers on this board may have better insight or clear rules. :wink:

It was an okay dive to say you had done it but nothing I would do twice. I was fairly bored by the end of the dive. The main passageway in the aft section was definitely the highlight. I remember we saw a grouper named Boris (or was it Natasha?) that has taken up residence in one of the side rooms. Good dive, not great. I would much rather do Jacksons Reef or Bloody Bay Wall on LC again.

Sounds like silt-outs aren't really considered a big issue then, at least not in selected diver-friendly areas. Just can't decide whether I want to pack a reel down there with me or not...

Thanks everyone!

Nah, it's easy diving just like the reefs. I wouldn't bother with a reel, but it's totally up to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom