RX Lenses for DataMask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug Krause

Contributor
Reaction score
San Leandro, California (just south of Oakland)
We are pleased to announce that we have approved two leading vendors to install prescription lenses in the Oceanic DataMask. Both have demonstrated superior technical skill and quality workmanship. Should you require their services, we are confident that you will be pleased with their work and turn-around time. Please contact them directly with specific questions and/or pricing.

Prescription Dive Masks
Curt Walker, Optician
Linda Young, Optician
2870 4th Ave Suite ABC
San Diego, CA 92103
Phone: (619) 299-2878
Toll Free: (800) 538-2878
Fax: (619) 297-9500
Email: llpdm@cox.net

Scuba Optics, Inc.
Bob Klomann
1405 8th Ave.
Rock Falls, IL 61071
Phone: (815) 625-7272
Toll Free: (800) 346-2654
Fax: (815) 625-9735
Email: scubaopt@essex1.com

Now you've got me interested.

I do have some questions.
I am near sighted -4.00/-4.50 correction needed.
(I see clearly only about 6 inches without correction)

I'm concerned about the diopter correction of the existing lens in front of the
computer display which is set for a person with normal vision to allow
them to focus on the screen which is so close to the eye.
I'm so nearsighted, that I'll need little to no correction to view the computer
display, unlike a person with normal vision.

If I remember correctly, the visual opening for the display is below the normal mask lens
so a corrective lens won't overlay the window for the computer display.
Assuming this is correct, I will be looking at the display with uncorrected
vision or around 4 diopters off from somebody with normal vision.
(unless there is a new lens for that opening as well)

-------
My questions:

- The prior solution was glue in lenses, do these guys make a full
replacement lens?

- Will a nearsighted person be able to read the display
or will the existing diopter correction be too much?

- Do they add/replace a lens over the display port as well?

- Can the original lens be re-installed if I have LASIK or for some reason
decide to sell the mask?

Thank You,

--- bill

Hi Bill,

The display is located below the mask lens - so you are correct in stating that with corrective lenses installed, the display would be viewed uncorrected. In our military and pre-production evaluation, we found that greater than 95% of users were able to see the display clearly, uncorrected, regardless of vision.

My vision is nearly identical to yours - and while the display is a bit more sharp with contacts, I have no problem making out all of the display, including the smallest icons. My guess is that you've have no problem with the display, but the only way to confirm it is to take a look at it yourself.

I have just spoken with Scuba Optics, and they confirmed that for the single lens design of the DataMask/CompuMask, 2 lenses are bonded to the existing lens. My assumption is that the same would be true with Prescription Dive Masks.

The original lens may be easily installed to replace the RX lens should you no longer require it, or decide to sell the mask down the road.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Doug

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Just for clarification, do they install/provide a new lens insert and return your original lens or
do they bond the corrective lenses to the original mask lens?

Does Oceanic sell original lenses separate?

I already contacted both of the companies you suggested, once I decide who to use based on their answers, I'll go to the place I purchase my top side glasses and have them mark the lense on the mask. Then just send the lense and keep the mask at home. If something is going to happen in transit I'll only be out a lense. Meanwhile I'd like to have spares at home, depending on the price maybe even a spare with the correction already installed.

I can read all the info in the display without a problem, it is the rest of the world I can not see without prescription, it doesn't look like my vision is getting any better either.

I've just ordered a datamask - plus a Delta and DX10 and all the trimmings...(wife is gonna go mad..!)

however I'm based in Europe, so the thought of sending my mask to the USA is a little daunting.

Can you provide the lenses? so I can take it to a local opticians for fitting?

Or as you state the single lens is easy to replace (and I haven't asked them yet...) can they send me a lens with the prescription already glued in place, so I can retro fit the 'new' complete lens?

Thanks!

Last edited:
We have qualified the two vendors at this point to install the lenses. There are no doubt others that provide this service, however, it is these two that have been provided the training and tools to perform the installation.

If you have a contact for a vendor on your side, we can work with them.

Thanks Doug,

I've emailed the two companies to see what they can offer international customers.

At this rate I'm gonna have masks coming out of my ears!

Last week I ordered a HydroOptix and now this week a datamask and I actually fixed my old mask....lol

On a side question, I already have an ATOM2.0, but no transmitter - I was just ordering a transmitter - but then 'new toys' syndrome took over and a datamask is on its way....I presume the transmitters (oceanics) are interchangeable between computers - can they be paired to the same transmitter at the same time? so one day I can use the datamask and then another the ATOM2.0 - all without having to (everytime) re-connect/pair them?

Cheers Doug!

No problem with the transmitter - you can synch both products with the single transmitter - and alternate, or use them both at the same time.

Thanks for your support - you should be our mascot! Please PM or email me your mailing address - we've got a few things that we'd like to send out to you...

As for the mask - is it already on it's way to you? Perhaps something can be done here before it ships?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom