s.a help needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dakar

Reaction score
sitting on the largest sand bar of them all....
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
hey guys!
i am thinking of moving to s.a. for a couple of years, jo'burg and pretoria are the optional places(work...), how is life over there? is crime as bad as i hear?:skull: is it common to go for a weekend, diving in durben? or is it too far?
any other info would be greatly apriciated! :cheers:!

Dunno about the crime situation, but from there you could easily go to Sodwana Bay, Ponto Malongane (Mozambique) or Durban for a weekend.

Crimes not as bad as people make it out to be, just be careful, common sense is a wonderful thing. People will tell you what areas to avoid at what times, Hillbrow, Pretoria CBD after dark etc. From Pretoria it takes 6 hours to Durban, 15 hours easy drive including the border to Tofo. The biggest disadvantage is there is very little water based out door stuff to do close to town on week ends (the dams Ive been to are filthy!)
If you want to spend most of your time diving, go to Durban, Cape Town or Mozambique

As RyanC says, the crime is not as bad as it's made out to be. That said, there is some, its a fact of life...
Trips to Mozambique, most people make it a three day weekend, because the border closes at 5 PM...

Hey,

Well, I grew up in Pretoria, JHB and Durban. Moved around a lot and finally moved to Cape Town after I graduated from University.

The crime is bad, but you know what that's how it goes everywhere in the world right now.

The pointers I can give you, is stay out of the central cities at night, don't go along any dark allies or places where there are no people. When you travel keep your doors locked and when you get there and you are looking at renting a house etc. Look for places in security parks etc, with burglar bars and electric fences at minimum.

I know this probably puts you off and it sound dangerous, but there is always an upside to everything. The people are great, the food is fantastic and you really get to see a country that is truly amazing in culural diversity, awsome landscapes and cheap living to a certain degree.

If I could change your mind for you, I would say go Cape Town. The most beautiful city in the world to me. But then be prepared for cold water. Clean air and cosmopolitan life...

Feel free to let me know if you need any further information.

Ironic SpongeBobscubasteve, you vote for Cape Town but your sig has a countdown to Sodwana.... could it be because Cape Town water is COOOOOOLD???? ;-) Never mind, I know the answer to that one - YES!

I am from DBN, but moved up to JHB about 2 years ago. I have done more diving while being in JHB and I ever did in DBN :) crazy I know.

I dont think the crime is too bad, this is crime, but if you use your common sence you can avoid it.

From JHB you have ponta, sodwana & DBN not too far away and there are a couple of inland bodies of water to dive. I am sure you have heard of Wondergat and the other deep ones.

But I have to ask if you are in Asia, why would u want to move?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom