S/H Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luke.k1983

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

im quite new to scuba but i would like to start diving more often but without the need of renting the equipment all the time. Ive had a look at some new gear but that can get very expensive. What do you thing about buying older, second hand equipment? What do i have to look for? I know that once i buy it i should get it checked/servised rightaway before diving.

Ive come across about 13yo equipment, which has been used only for few months throughout that time. Includes:

Tusa Imprex BCD
Tusa Imprex 1st & 2nd stage SS-400
Suunto EON dive computer

Any help and suggestion is greatly appraciated .

Cheers

Luke

word of caution, please check with your local dive shops if they can service the tusa regulators before buying them. Otherwise, you might end up with buying something which you cannot use or might be expensive to maintain.

thanks, didnt really think about it as its prodive shop that only sells tusa bcds, regulators, masks, etc so i kinda guessed they would service it too

I don't know how the bigger US websites are for shipping to Australia, but if you monitor Leisurepro.com's package deals you can generally find brand new equipment for MAYBE 1-200$ more than you'd spend for second hand gear.

For the most part you're going to spend the extra money getting it serviced initially anyway, it just makes more sense to buy new unless you're getting a crazy good deal.

Absolutely nothing wrong with good used gear. I would not be too afraid of the BC...if it does not leak and the inflate/deflate valves work it most likely good for many more years. The reg on the other hand is somewhat of a concern, don't just assume because they are a TUSA dealer that parts for older regs are available. Parts and service for an older TUSA may (or may not- don't know how parts and service for them are downunder) be hard to come by. For older regs I really like to stick with either US Diver/Aqualung or Scubapro, not because they are better than other brands but because they still support most of their much older regs and have a wider distribuitor network than most other brands. I would suggest that before you buy any reg you call a couple of dive shops that service the particular brand and ask if they can service the particular model you are thinking of buying, that way you know for sure......and do call at least 2 shops, less than accurate information is at times given.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom