New Diver need advice on mid range gear, (diving mostly in California ,Mexico, South east Asia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A standard SS plate travels just fine and makes more sense if you’re diving in cooler local waters.

Go with you cheaper options as listed, I would say a stainless plate would serve better and I would look at other fins like the GoSport or supernovas.

are you flying or driving to the Mexican sites?
I will be flying to these sites. I was looking at the supernovas also but they seem more expensive even the used ones. I'll take a look at the gosport

A standard SS plate travels just fine and makes more sense if you’re diving in cooler local waters.
If the OP's diving is mostly local, then I'd agree. But if it's tilted towards flights, then the 4 or 5 pound difference can matter a lot in your baggage. Especially if you are travelling in SE Asia where weight limits are often tighter and they will even weigh your carry on.

If you end up diving a lot in both warm and temperate water, you'll probably also end up with 2 setups. An AL plate with an 18-24 pound wing for travel and a steel plate with 30-35 pound wing for local.

Meanwhile, the trick to optimizing an AL plate for all conditions is to put a pair of trim pockets on each cam band. Like this:

Note that this weight is not easily ditchable. The guy in the video prefers it that way, but that's a different discussion. If you want ditchable weight, save a few pounds of your needed weight for a weight belt or waist belt mounted trim pockets.

Also note that whether you have a steel or Al plate, you don't need expensive trim pockets. I use these $12 pockets that hold up to 5 pounds. Mine have lasted maybe 150 dives and if the velcro ever gives out, I'll happily replace them.

You do have to fish the weights out from the top to ditch them. I don't mind this, but if you are concerned about easy dumping, then you could use these instead on the harness waist belt (or stick with a standard weight belt).

If the OP's diving is mostly local, then I'd agree. But if it's tilted towards flights, then the 4 or 5 pound difference can matter a lot in your baggage. Especially if you are travelling in SE Asia where weight limits are often tighter and they will even weigh your carry on.

If you end up diving a lot in both warm and temperate water, you'll probably also end up with 2 setups. An AL plate with an 18-24 pound wing for travel and a steel plate with 30-35 pound wing for local.

Meanwhile, the trick to optimizing an AL plate for all conditions is to put a pair of trim pockets on each cam band. Like this:

Note that this weight is not easily ditchable. The guy in the video prefers it that way, but that's a different discussion. If you want ditchable weight, save a few pounds of your needed weight for a weight belt or waist belt mounted trim pockets.

Also note that whether you have a steel or Al plate, you don't need expensive trim pockets. I use these $12 pockets that hold up to 5 pounds. Mine have lasted maybe 150 dives and if the velcro ever gives out, I'll happily replace them.

You do have to fish the weights out from the top to ditch them. I don't mind this, but if you are concerned about easy dumping, then you could use these instead on the harness waist belt (or stick with a standard weight belt).
sooo i have one local on feb in catalina,
march los cabos
april zihuatanejo
may playa del carmen
june puerto vallarta
july cozumel
aug cancun/pdc (tentative

and will probably dive 1 or 2x a month in southern california, i found a local dive group that i think i will join. (these are like 2-3dive days only)

sooo i have one local on feb in catalina,
march los cabos
april zihuatanejo
may playa del carmen
june puerto vallarta
july cozumel
aug cancun/pdc (tentative

and will probably dive 1 or 2x a month in southern california, i found a local dive group that i think i will join. (these are like 2-3dive days only)
Go with stainless, it’s 3 lb heavier for travel but will works better for most of your dive plans.

I just got all my gear too (minus a wetsuit) and went with the DGX Custom BP/W w/ SS , and I love it so far. Putting it together was a bit of a learning experience (i.e., how to weave buckles, what knot to tie for bungees) but nothing "hard" i would say.

Adjusting the straps is also pretty easy and straightforward than some seem to suggest (imo but i'm still new), so I don't really see the need for the quick adjust straps that folks spend twice as much money on. Getting into and out of it was no issue either for me fwiw.

Looking over your calendar, my first thought is that your gear is going to be a small fraction of what you are spending on diving overall, so while you don't want to waste money, there's no need to fight for every dollar.

Which leads nicely to the regulator question. Of the two you mentioned, I'd go with the ScubaPro. But honestly, add an octo and the price is not that attractive, especially if it needs a service. So what would I recommend? Let's look at regs with features that will work for any kind of diving, even if you decide to get into really cold water at some point in the future.

If you don't mind mail order service then one of the following.

These are comparable regs, although IMO the Deep6 looks better and you have the advantage of being able to deal directly with the designer's company. The Deep 6 package is around $900 versus $550 for the DGX packages. But the Deep 6 does include a free first service versus $245 total for DGX (parts and labor for 3 stages). Deep 6 also includes free service kits for life with this reg, which will save you over a hundred bucks for each subsequent service. [Edit - see LandonL's response below]

If you want something that can be serviced anywhere in the world, the standard options are Aqualung/Apex (Aqualung currently owns Apex), Mares and ScubaPro.

Aqualung/Apex have financial issues that would cause me to stay away from their regs right now.

For Mares, their reg that is most comparable to the ones above (flagship environmentally sealed diaphragm with turret first stage and balanced adjustable seconds) is also conveniently available from DGX at $950 for either the single tank or streamlined package. This is covered by a worldwide warranty and can be serviced pretty much anywhere:

I'll leave ScubaPro to someone else. I'm personally not interested in new ScubaPro because I object to the company's anti-competitive dealer practices. This has nothing to do with the quality of their regulators which is top notch, but it results in prices that are much higher in the US than Europe, where these practices are prohibited by law.

Looking over your calendar, my first thought is that your gear is going to be a small fraction of what you are spending on diving overall, so while you don't want to waste money, there's no need to fight for every dollar.

Which leads nicely to the regulator question. Of the two you mentioned, I'd go with the ScubaPro. But honestly, add an octo and the price is not that attractive, especially if it needs a service. So what would I recommend? Let's look at regs with features that will work for any kind of diving, even if you decide to get into really cold water at some point in the future.

If you don't mind mail order service then one of the following.

These are comparable regs, although IMO the Deep6 looks better and you have the advantage of being able to deal directly with the designer's company. The Deep 6 package is around $900 versus $550 for the DGX packages. But the Deep 6 does include a free first service versus $245 total for DGX (parts and labor for 3 stages). Deep 6 also includes free service kits for life with this reg, which will save you over a hundred bucks for each subsequent service.

If you want something that can be serviced anywhere in the world, the standard options are Aqualung/Apex (Aqualung currently owns Apex), Mares and ScubaPro.

Aqualung/Apex have financial issues that would cause me to stay away from their regs right now.

For Mares, their reg that is most comparable to the ones above (flagship environmentally sealed diaphragm with turret first stage and balanced adjustable seconds) is also conveniently available from DGX at $950 for either the single tank or streamlined package. This is covered by a worldwide warranty and can be serviced pretty much anywhere:

I'll leave ScubaPro to someone else. I'm personally not interested in new ScubaPro because I object to the company's anti-competitive dealer practices. This has nothing to do with the quality of their regulators which is top notch, but it results in prices that are much higher in the US than Europe, where these practices are prohibited by law.
These are some very good points that I have to think about. So when getting regs services you pay for labor and service kits and parts? Or are the kits already the parts? How often do you need to get them serviced?

Deep 6 also includes free service kits for life with this reg, which will save you over a hundred bucks for each subsequent service.

Minor clarification.

We provide the initial set of kits for free. The labor at the first service is also free. So if you return your initial kits with the regs for service, your total cost is just the shipping.

Subsequent services are done at a flat rate per stage, which includes the kits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom