S/Y Oriental Siren incident in Layang Layang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Worldwide Dive and Sail

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
During the morning of 7th June 2012 the S/Y Oriental Siren, owned by Samui BP Holdings and operated under Worldwide Dive and Sail’s Siren Fleet, had to be abandoned by guests and crew.

No one, either guest or crew member, was injured during this incident and we commend all aboard for their management of this situation.

All guests are currently at the local resort on Layang Layang Island and an air transfer to Labuan or Kota Kinabalu is in process.

The team in Thailand has been busy contacting embassies and notifying the families of those on board. Meanwhile yacht owner, John Bethell, and co-owner of Worldwide Dive and Sail, Mark Shandur, have flown to Malaysia to meet the guests and ensure they are safe and get to their homes quickly.

You can read a full incident statement on our website and if you were due to travel on the S/Y Oriental Siren, the Worldwide Dive and Sail reservations office will be contacting you shortly with an update.

We would like to thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Siren Fleet team

Just out of curiosity, what was behind the logic of going out to sea when the weather was as bad as it was? We had almost gale force type winds and choppy seas at the time...yes, it was hot for the days you were docked at Labuan's old jetty in downtown Labuan but once you got out to sea, surely you realized the weather had turned for the worst and it would have been safer to head back to port, no?

Again, you were VERY VERY LUCKY this turned out the way it did. On another day, it may not have been so good.

Some logic went out the window with this trip I dare say.

It wasn't stated clearly whther the ship actually did sink or not?? I'm assuming it did. What was the actual cause of the incident? Were the waves really just too big? Or did the pumps not work correctly?

This makes two "incidents" in six months. Not good for the marketing team!
Very glad to hear no one was injured.
One thing can be said for the WWDS teams is that they certainly handle the serious situations well.

I was on a Siren boat of out Komodo last year. All I can say is NEVER AGAIN. I have been on at least two dive boats each year for the last 12 years, and I have never seen the kinds of crazy things I saw with World Wide Dive and Sail. We had very inexperienced divers diving in conditions that not even highly experienced divers should have been in. It was nothing short of a miracle that we didn't lose someone, and the staff followed none of the appropriate protocols when divers were bounced from 100ft to the surface in less than a minute with no safety stop due to up currents. It was crazy! Not AT ALL surprised to hear of two of their boats sinking!

Hi All

A Final update on the incident of the S/Y Oriental Siren is available on our website, along with a report from guests who were aboard at the time, S/Y Oriental Siren Liveaboard incident

We hope this information goes someway to clarify the situation for you, should you have any questions please feel free to address those directly to our head office at info@worldwidediveandsail.com

We are sorry to learn that not all trips aboard our liveaboard yachts have enjoyed by all. However we are always willing to address guests' concerns and welcome all feedback on our trips so that we may improve our service to ensure that the next time you join the Siren Fleet your vacation will be as close to perfect as possible.

We would like to thank you again for your concern and support during this difficult time.

With best wishes from the Siren Fleet team.

What a harrowing story. Since the Philippines was expecting bad weather, wouldn't it have been more prudent to stay near shore? Either way, I'm glad this ended with no life lost and hopefully no major injuries. Hats off to the Siren Fleet for quick thinking both from a safety and a logistical standpoint.

There has been an unfortunate plague of liveabaord disasters the past year. I hate to see these magnificent boats lost so frequently. I am glad that the passengers aboard the Oriental Siren managed with no loss of life or injury. I think that this spate of burnings and sinkings must make it difficult to build, finance, and insure boats now and for the future. All of us who dive liveaboards may be effected.

I, for one, have been on siren boats. I found them to be extremely comfortable with attentive crews and great equipment. I would not HESITATE to go on any of their boats in the future. Any time you enter open water, you take a risk. It sounds like the crew did a good job, as evidenced by the lack of injuries and worse.

Back
Top Bottom