Saba - Anyone Dive with Saba Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

800' Dang - Don't know why I remembered that one, must have been from the metric of Mt. Scenery.... I was nervous about the planning to get to Saba also. It is not that bad. As Larry stated there are several flights daily from St. Maarten to/from Saba. The transfer at St. Maarten could not have been easier. My trip, I used a travel agent. If I was planning it today, I would have the dive shop hold the hotel/boat, verify and then book the Major airline and WinAir. I personally am happy that Saba is not a one airline flight as it would get too busy :(. WinAir is as professional as any airline I have flown, considering that they are mostly (All?) island hoppers with Twin Otters. Their safety record is very good. Their issues tend to be wind direction and rain. Consider that it is a 15 minute flight so it should not be a problem.

Also with what Larry said, there are numerous shallower dives including Tent Bay which we missed but was told that it has incredible life on it.

I've been to Saba 2 times and stayed at Scouts with Saba Divers. Very nice hotel and dive operation. I know I will be back there soon and will stay there again. We had problems with transportation both times. First time
Winair did not take our dive gear with us (even though the flight was empty). Saba Divers rented out gear for us no charge. and the second time they simply claimed we had no reservation even though we checked in IN PERSON
at their office by the airport 2 days before our flight. We ended up having to take the ferry and so we got there late. What was great about Saba Divers is their dive boat grabbed us right from the ferry and stayed out late so
that we could still get 2 dives in. They were great.

Here is some information I gave to another SB'er regarding our trip to Saba in March:

Our trip to Saba was fabulous! We go to Coz quite a bit and love it there but decided to try something new. We were not disappointed. It was a very long day getting to Saba from Arizona. We left PHX at 1:00 AM on Saturday morning; had a quick layover and plane change in Charlotte; flew from Charlotte to St. Maarten; and then took a 90-minute ferry ride to Saba. There are only two ways to get from St. Maarten to Saba....on a very small plane or the ferry.

Like Coz, Saba has a marine park with strict rules about not hunting, touching, or playing with the critters. You also are accompanied by a DM on all dives. The island is a dormant volcano and it rises close to 3,000 feet out of the sea. It is lush, tropical, green, and reminds me of the island on the old show "Fantasy Island." There are no big hotels, no beaches, no fancy shops or restaurants. There are small hotels and very good small restaurants on the island. The people are so nice! There are three "towns" on the island and we stayed in Windward at Julianna's Place. Our room was spacious, it had a balcony with a "to die for view of the sea," and everything was clean. There's no crime on the island so locking a door is not necessary. We left laptops, cameras, money, dive gear, etc. in our room and never had anything touched. There's a small restaurant at the hotel....The Tropics Cafe....which was good. We also ate at other restaurants in Windward.

When we booked the trip we booked a package with Julianna's Place and Sea Saba Advanced Dive Center. I have to say that the dive shop is probably the most organized and conscientious shop we've ever used. They know how to run a good shop and great dive boats. We never had more than 10 divers on our boat during the entire week. The captains and DM's were outstanding and gave the most thorough briefings we've ever heard. They even used a whiteboard to draw a picture of the dive site so you could understand the topography and the route really well before you hit the water. Our dives ranged from a minimum of 45-50 feet to a maximum of about 120 feet. On the deeper dives there was no pressure to dive to the maximum depth, in fact, I think I hit 101 ft. only once during the trip.

After diving each day you leave your gear on the boat and the crew takes care of it. You can take back to your room anything you want....computers, regs, etc....and they have your BCD set up on a tank the next day. Your wetsuit gets hosed off with fresh water and hung up on a rack on the boat and is ready for you the next day. If you dive Nitrox they test the tanks right on the boat and you watch and sign a form. What we loved the most is, for most dives, it's only about a 5 minute boat ride to the dive site! I think the longest ride was about 10 minutes. Loved it! The underwater topography is so interesting....seamounts, pinnacles, reefs, white sand, dark sand, etc. We saw the usual suspects---turtles, eels, sharks, rays, and TONS of fish. The reefs are very healthy. I think the sponges and coral heads in Coz, however, are more vibrant in color than in Saba. In Coz, you can see 10 - 15 dive boats in the same vicinity on places like Palancar Reef. In Saba, you might see one or two other dive boats in the same vicinity you're in. The boats actually tie up to a buoy, and only one boat per buoy is allowed.

There is one very steep and winding road on the island that takes you from the hotel to the harbor. We were picked up every morning in a van and taken to the harbor and after diving the van was there to take us back to the hotel. We never had to call for a taxi because the van/driver was part of the package. To tell you the truth, I'm so glad WE didn't have to drive the road. If a person is afraid of heights, Saba isn't a good place to visit!

I hope this helps you to make a decision about Saba. It's a great place to dive, relax, and enjoy the beauty of the island and it's people!

Just thought I'd give a little update. I just got back from Saba on Friday and I had a great time. I dove with Sea Saba based on recommendations in this thread and I can't thank you guys enough. Lynn and her team were awesome and super accommodating the entire trip. The diving was great and they seemed to be the only shop even diving. Saba is a really unique and interesting place and I had a great time.

Thank you all!!

Glad you posted a follow up! Was anything about your trip different than you expected it to be, or a surprise?

Richard.

I just heard that two of Saba's dive operations have had major changes. Saba Deep has closed and is looking for a buyer and Saba Divers was just sold to someone from Europe. No further details at this time, but anyone making plans to visit Saba in the near future should keep this in mind.

Larry

I just heard that two of Saba's dive operations have had major changes. Saba Deep has closed and is looking for a buyer and Saba Divers was just sold to someone from Europe. No further details at this time, but anyone making plans to visit Saba in the near future should keep this in mind.

Larry

Shhhh!! Do not tell my wife. She would want to buy the place :D. Sad to hear that Saba Deep is closed. I only have dove with Sea Saba but I though the island was great and wanted everyone on it to do well. A year out and I still constantly talk about my trip there and we really do want to go back someday. A while back, my wife connected Lynn with Scuba Nation and got them to film an episode there. They did a fairly good job and it was neat to re-live our experience through it. Look it up online to get their perspective of the island. I wish the best for Sea Saba (and Lynn/John/Seneca) and also for Saba Divers. P.S. - I also miss the Bizzy Bee breakfast we had everyday. They were nice enough to make more of our favorites while we were there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom