Saba Live aboard fuel surcharges on the Caribbean Explorer II?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It takes a lot longer to see the impact of lower fuel costs on islands. Less customers, longer supply line. And prices have started going back up again. I think fuel surcharges are here to stay so we best get use to it.

Fuel surcharges are ridiculous especially on a boat like the Nekton. The boat holds 30 guest. They sometimes sail with as few as 8. The fuel cost to them is exactly the same - the rest is extra profit. The same goes for the other boats though they are frequently full. Just raise the price and quit this stupid game. Maybe they'll eventually end up like the airlines and charge for extra bags too. I love liveaboards but hate the pricing schemes from all of them.

"...extra profit..."

Always found that expression to be curious.

There really is no such thing as "extra" profit. There's either "profit" or there's not.

I just did the CE II trip with Saba/Statia/St. Kitts and had a great time. When I booked in November the surcharge was clearly part of the information provided. The amount was also on the site for several months before that. The surcharge has been overtly part of the Explorer Ventures cost on the website for some time.for some time.
Have a good trip.

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback on fuel surcharges on the CE II....I think my post was a little misleading initially....we were aware of a surcharge, however in Nov. 07 at the time of our booking we were told through an e mail that the charge would be $85.00. We all know that diesel prices in Nov. 07 were much much higher than they are now. Furthermore the real big run up in diesel prices happened in mid 2008...since that time diesel prices have fallen dramatically to lows below the itmes when fuel surcharges statred coming into play two or three years ago. So the it begs the question, why a surcharge at all if prices have dropped so much? Prices in Saba have fallen from a high of $6.00 per gallon to around $3.25 now. Yet there is still a $1,710.00 surcharge for our entire group...that is a lot!! I'd like to know up to what price per gallon/litre is included in the trip?

I believe they don't want to give it up because it does represent more profit to the boat period! I would never dream of penalizing the crew for this charge from their tips....unless their service and attitude is terrible. There is no question that, like the airlines, they lowball to get the business, then once you sign on the dotted line, they can do whatever they want in the way of additional fees. This is clearly a "get it cause we can" fee!

Our only weapon is the forums like this and Undercurrent. I do intend to voice my displeasure to the captain as well as file reports here and in undercurents chapbook for others to know the games they play. We as consumers/divers drive there operations. If enough of us complain loudly enough, then something may change.

I was just on the CEXII last week. Originally the operation told us the surcharge was $160 and that it had dropped to $95. We knew about it all along though, and it was nice to get the "break" when we heard the surcharge had been lowered. We were asking about the price of fuel and if I recall correctly the price was somewhere around $4/gallon. We were surprised by that, it's the only reason I remember that conversation.

Gwen

.... to know the games they play.

If it's fully disclosed, and I believe it has been by Explorer, then it's not a "game". You may disagree with their pricing model, but there doesn't seem to be anything hidden from the potential guest before they sign up.

What the CEX II doesn't tell you is what is the baseline price for fuel already priced in the cost of the trip. At what price point is a surcharge warranted or justified? When they priced the cost of the boat and advertised it perhaps a year or two ago for 2008 trips, the price of fuel two years ago is about what it is now in Saba and St. Maarten. You would have figure they priced in and projected at least $3.25 a gallon or more for fuel expenses, right?

They can move fuel surcharges up and down as the market price of fuel dictates or they can just raise the base price of the trip to try and account for anticipated fuel costs in the future. If they're trying to guess what fuel costs will be down the road and set base rates accordingly then the tendency will be to guess high to fully cover themselves. I think the fuel surcharge is a good way to keep base rates low and provide a good value for the divers as long as they fairly adjust the surcharges downward as quickly as market prices allow.

Let's not forget that fuel prices in various parts of the world vary dramatically. When gas in the US was 1.80 I was paying 4.05 in Roatan. Oil was $6 a quart. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing what these boats are paying so they just charge us whatever they want. I have never been on a boat however that didn't disclose the amount up front. What really makes it tricky however is that the state a fuel charge at time of booking but the price could increase or decrease dramatically by the time you board. Some people will win and some will lose.

Back
Top Bottom