Sadly, my diving days are over

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I must say, what a great response to my post. Thank you for the comments and information. I have done so much research on CABG and STENT intervention. My cardiologist hesitates to give me the "all clear" to dive again. He says " what if you have an incident at 40 feet, it's game over. " I know he has my best interests at heart and is being cautious. I don't think I could ever make it to 13 METS even when I was younger. ( And I am in better shape than most of my dive buddies ). After the Cardiac Rehab program, I got to 10 METS before the legs gave out but I think the Beta Blocker meds do limit my performance a bit by keeping my heart rate below 116. My Cardiologist did say my follow-up angiogram at 6 months looked great and there was no signs of re-stenosis of the LM or LAD. He said "see ya in a year" . I have no chest pain at all anymore, never had a heart attack ( the EF is good ), and I don't use the NITRO spray that I carry around. What I am concerned about is the standard meds that I am on. Metropolol ( Beta Blocker), Coversyl ( Blood pressure ) Crestor ( Cholesterol ) and Plavix ( Blood platelets )

You guys have inspired me to get to the 13 METS and see what my cardiologist says.

I'll hold off selling all my gear.

yes the Beta Blockers would limit your performance. And I forgot to list down the beta blocker I take regularly, Atenolol (tenormin). Good luck, D.I.

Just pm when you need to...

yes the Beta Blockers would limit your performance. And I forgot to list down the beta blocker I take regularly, Atenolol (tenormin). Good luck, D.I.

Just pm when you need to...

I took Atenolol for a few years and still dived like crazy. I didn't notice shortness of breath or anything like that, but I tend to go slow and look at things.

I know the beta blockers reduce max heart rate, but that generally has no bearing in scuba diving, unless you're a total newbie.

Not to disparage doctors in general, but they told my grandfather back in 1930 (when he was in his early 30's) that he'd live a short life. Well, I guess he did since he only made it to age 95.

Is your doctor specifically knowledgeable about diving and its effects on the human body? Many are not. You might want to get a direct examination and an opinion from one who is specifically trained in dive medicine. Doc V's words sound very promising.

I simply avoid going to doctors period. Ignorance is bliss. Not entirely serious about that.

Before the chat regarding mets and drugs which limit heart rate gets any looser, be aware that the diver who is post-CABG, post-stenting and/or taking beta-blockers or kindred drugs should be able to reach 13 mets without EKG abnormalities, shortness of breath, chest pain or excessive fatigue per both DAN (e.g., Cardiovascular Fitness and Diving;
DAN Divers Alert Network : Cardiovascular Fitness and Diving) and the emminent diving medicine experts, Drs. Alfred Bove and Jefferson Davis (e.g., Medical Examination of Sport Scuba Divers (Cardiovascular Systems);
http://www.scubaland.com/Files/PDF/Medical Exam Guidelines.pdf). Many others within the diving medicine community echo this position, including Dr. Ern Campbell (aka Scubadoc; e.,g., Diving Exclusions and Qualifications; Fitness for Diving

Let's all be careful.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hello Folks:

Sadly, my diving days seem to be over. I am a 56 yr male, and in December 2006, I had some very minor chest discomfort. Just enough that I decided to get checked out. I had a cardiac angiogram and low and behold I had a 90% stenosis of the left main coronary artery and a pretty bad LAD coronary artery. I ended up having a triple bypass ( CABG ) operation. One of the bypasses failed after two months of rehab so I ended up having three cypher stents put in the LM and the LAD. I am in good physical shape, non-smoker, BMI of 25, not diabetic.

I have recovered from the surgery and the stent placements and did not dive at all through 2007. I was hoping to get the OK to dive again because diving is my passion.

I think I should give up on that idea. I guess it's not worth the risk. I am worried that the stents might compress at the pressures experienced at 100 ft depth.

Any of the Cadiologists on the board have any information on how stents are affected by the pressure at depth ?

Why don't you get in touch with your own cardologist. If he or she isn't sure then talk to one that has knowledge of diving.

Good luck with diving. While I am not a Medical doctor, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, I would read what Doc Vikingo posts with particular interest. After all he is the only medicinal Doc posting in this thread!

Best of Luck DI guy! I hope you return to diving. It surely is a hard thing to give up. Take care.

Well, your doctor is right. What if something happens (i.e. a heart attack) at 40'?

That being said, if it were me, and everything looked good, all benchmarks met (as in Doc V's post), I would dive. Something could happen in the shower, the car, the bed. Life is unpredictable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom