Salvo light question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronR103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got my new 21w li-Ion can light and it did not come with a manual. For those of you who have one, how do I know when the battery is done charging? Is there anything I should know about caring for the light? Thanks.

A

The light on the charger turns green when it thinks the battery is charged.

If you go through the archives on lights, you'll find all kinds of threads about things like whether you damage the light by turning it on and off again quickly, how to care for the batteries, how to ensure an adequate charge and test it, etc. There's a lot of controversy and it's hard to decide what's really true about them.

http://www.salvodiving.com/faq

Basically, keep your battery plugged in and out of the cold. It should be on a full charge for every dive. Make it part of your post dive routine to care for your light.

If you have a small leak and get to the battery right away, it might be okay. Otherwise if you leave it in the canister for a few days, it will corrode. Then you'll need a new battery.

Check your o-ring for debris when you seal it up. Close both clasps at the same time. Those are the Basics by Pue. :)

Ummm,

A few things about the li-On lights. Do NOT charge the battery until the night before you dive. This will extend the battery life. Keep the battery in the fridge unless you are diving it. This will extend the life of the battery.

I agree. For NIMH lights I leave them on the charger all the time. For LION I suggest not charging them at the end of the days dive. Just store it in a cool place. Charge it the night before you go diving. The charger has protection so you can't overcharge the battery. Salvo's FAQ is pretty decent. If I can answer any questions let me know.

Brent

TSandM:
The light on the charger turns green when it thinks the battery is charged.

If you go through the archives on lights, you'll find all kinds of threads about things like whether you damage the light by turning it on and off again quickly, how to care for the batteries, how to ensure an adequate charge and test it, etc. There's a lot of controversy and it's hard to decide what's really true about them.

Should the light be green even if the battery isn't attached to the charger?

A

I am not sure about that. Try running your battery down for a while in the sink, maybe 30 mins. Then plug the charger in first, then plug the battery into the charger. You want to run it through a charge cycle. The light should start out red when charging then go to green when charged. If it doesn't do this let me know and I will put in a call for you to Salvo.

Brent

ok, light was green with no battery attached, but turned red after i ran the light in the tub for a while. Wasn't expecting the battery to ship fully charged and I was expecting the light to turn from green to red when charged like my old halcyon light. Problem solved. Thanks all.

A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom