San Francisco Bay Area Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, thanks for all the great advice. So far I've only done 2 20-minute dives with an OW course at Breakwater, so I'm eager to check out all of what Monterey has to offer. I'll stick with the 7 mm for now, but I'm already researching drysuits just in case.

Welcome to the norcal group! I'm in San Mateo and normally dive on Sundays if you ever want to carpool. If you're thinking about wet vs. dry I'd recommend a drysuit demo day. Whites has one coming up (http://whitesdiving.com/images/events/Detail-Sheet-Monterey.pdf) and DUI will probably have one later this year.

Just a word of warning - once you see how much warmer, easier, and more fun drysuit diving is, you might start obsessively checking out drysuits, and cold neoprene just gives you the heebegeebes. At least that was my experience :)

That demo day sounds great. Thanks for the heads up. And I'll definitely be down to carpool.

Been diving in Monterey for years with a 7mm with normally not getting cold unless I was getting tired toward the end of the day. (4 or 5 dives, 90+ minutes each) UNTIL......I returned from my last trip to Hawaii. Froze my butt off for the day of diving back in my "home" waters! The next day it was back to normal. But since that weekend I added a 1.5mm vest. OH what a difference! I'm sure I'll go "dry" one of these days...but not anytime soon.

I live in livermore and I am always looking for people to dive with. Count me in.

I have a mares flexa 8.6.5 and a 7mm hooded vest and I have had no problem with the cold. So far i've been in the water for almost 2 hours. After 50 mins diving, stayed in the water for another hour hanging out with the seal that decided to join us, and never noticed the cold. This suit has really good seals with almost no flushing, so for the time being, I am not interested in looking for a drysuit. I dont think I could handle the weight of 2 tanks either.

Last edited:
Hi, I live in San Francisco (Potrero Hill) and am always in need of dive buddies. I have been using a brand new Xcel 8/7/6mm wetsuit and haven't had an issue so far. By the time I've suited up and have all my gear in check, I can't wait to jump into the cold water!

I'm in Berkeley and would be happy to find buddies for trips to Monterey.

For my first couple dives around here (at Lobos), I was incredibly cold. My 7mm wetsuit was fine, but I had a little too much water swishing around my boots. Added a pair of neoprene socks, and now I'm quite comfortable.

Hey folks,

I am new to diving in the Bay area. I am also a PADI Instructor and Commercial diver. I have dove cold water before like Dutch Harbor, AK. I was just curious about getting together with some folks and getting wet! Thanks for your time!

Jason La Comb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom