Sangalaki in november?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
I am planning a trip in November and think of Sangalaki. However I heard that November-December is the raining season there and visibility can be quite poor. Has anyone been there during the period? I am thinking of second half of November or first week of December. Alternative choice would be Manado but looking at a map, they are not exactly far far away from each other, I would think that the condition would be similar.
Thanks for any info.

This year we will be making our third visit to Derawan Island and Maratua island always in November/December. During this time we have made several dive trips to Sangalaki (although have never stayed on the island). The viz has never been a problem and the only restriction on this has been the amount of plankton in the water. No plankton means no mantas so you choose! It is the beginning of the rainy season but we have never had much rain and what we have had has mostly been over quickly and then the sun shines again. The viz at Sangalaki is in general much better than Derawan as this is affected by its closer proximity to mainland Borneo and the resultant run-off.

Maggie, thanks for the information. Sangalaki sounds pretty good. Are there any particular reason that you choose to stay at Derawan rather than Sangalaki?
Love the picture of the bubble coral with shrimps, saw similar critters at Sipadan and Komodo but never could get a decent pictures of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom