SATURDAY - Come Protest the Shark Tournament in New York!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePhotoGuide

Contributor
Reaction score
Please forward this to anyone you know in New York or New Jersey!!!

Only days after congress passed the Shark Conservation Act of 2008, the slaughter of sharks is happening right here in our own backyard. This weekend the Star Island Yacht Club Shark Tournament will take place in Montauk, NY. The 2008 Annual Shark Tournament is being held June 12–14.

This is the largest shark tournament in the US. This year's website boasts a prize pool of more that $1,000,000 the largest yet, which means that more sharks than ever are going to be killed.

Read the full story here.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]You can also join the Humane Society rally to show your support Saturday June 14th from 4-5pm pm at the intersection of West Lake Drive and Star Island Drive, Montauk, NY. [/FONT]

Get all the info here on DivePhotoGuide

504745445.jpg

I thought the East Coast had more intelligent people than that. And of all the nerve... they're holding the event today on my birthday. I hope a shark or two get a bite in themselves.

I thought the East Coast had more intelligent people than that. And of all the nerve... they're holding the event today on my birthday. I hope a shark or two get a bite in themselves.
Unfortunately, some of these sharking tournaments are East vs. West.

Thanks for sharing this info!

I hope some people turn out to support you.

I love sharks more than just about any other animal. I am not saying this is right but there are illegal shark finning boats killing MILLIONS of sharks a year. We would be better off focusing on putting a stop to that world wide rather than bust the balls of a few fishermen that may kill a few sharks. I would rather not see any sharks killed but fisherman have changed most tournaments to tagging (no kill) events so they are listening.

I just think recreational fisherman and divers would both benefit if we could get along.

My wife and I just got back From Palau last week and we saw Asian (Japanese / Taiwanese) fishing boats moored between the Rock Islands on several occasions. I'm sure they were shark finning but no one was doing anything about it. It was actually quite disturbing but Palau accepts money in exchange for allowing this to happen.

Scott

THatsdiscusting. I really hope some huge mega jaws shark comes out of the deep someday and swallow those japanese boath whole :) hey. it may happen.......

sharks are sooo cool. I have no idea why anyone would hurt those animals. Especially since many sharks are endangered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom