Savannah Off Shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke:
Scubachick - an additional dive opportunity you might want to consider is the Cooper River about an hour north of Savannah, up around Charleston. They are kind of fun in that you are guaranteed to find lots of fossilized sharks teeth, maybe some cultural artifacts, and the diving experience itself is kind of exciting and unique in that it is serious blackwater. Like maybe 5 to 30 inch visibility with a decent light. Of course, not everyone enjoys that sort of thing, but if you have the right attitude about it, it can be sort of addictive. In Savannah, btw, make sure you go to the Ocean film festival. There are films and talks and all sorts of stuff you'd be interested in. It's a 3-day affair, probably in September.

I have a friend who lives in NY & drives down to Charleston 3 or 4 times a year to dive Cooper River. He's gathered some cool fossils. I haven't decided if I want to do it or not. Vis in the lakes I used to dive in MO was a lot of the time as bad as 5 feet but 5-30 inches might be a bit much. Haven't entirely ruled it out though.

seatiger:
The current/vis etc can be bad here if your dives are not planned properly around the moon phase/tides. My family/customers and I have been diving here for 20 years and there are MANY wrecks reefs etc to dive on offshore. Check out our websites for video's pictures etc.

Thanks...I'll check out the videos. I've been meaning to stop in your shop too. I pass it every day on the way to & from work. I'll try to get by there soon.

Seatiger - re Kraken's comments, I work at the new GA aquarium in Atlanta along with a ton of other divers. We have a Gray's reef exhibit and I am hoping that I can generate some interest in a group trip(s) this summer down to the coast to see in person what we normally look at and talk about through a 2" Acrylic window. What time of year, btw, does the water become sufficiently warm for a reasonably comfortable 3 mil dive and, independent of apparel, what times of year would you say are best for diving down there both in terms of the scenery/vis and probability of the dive not being called due to weather/seas?

dlwalke
Mid June through Oct. you can get away with a 3 mil suit. The best diving is from now through August. The tropical weather stirs things up a bit after that. The northeast wind calms down pretty good for the june through august period as well. However then the topical stuff usually kicks in. So planning is the key. As a matter of fact I'm diving tomorrow as the forecast is 2' seas. I'll be diving 45 minutes after I leave the dock.
Here's a link to our weather page.
Georgia Offshore Weather Conditions

Hopefully we can get up there and see the new aquarium soon!

scubachick01:
Thanks...I'll check out the videos. I've been meaning to stop in your shop too. I pass it every day on the way to & from work. I'll try to get by there soon.

Scubachick

We're usually open at 3pm to 7pm during the week and 10am to 8pm on Sat. Join our group the Blackbeard's Scuba Club this Friday upstairs at the Pirate's House on Broughton street. NOAA Gray's Reef manager Greg Mcfal will be giving a presentation on Grays Reef for our local scuba club. We have the upstairs reserved and everyone is welcome even the non-divers at no charge. Its a good chance to hear and see whats offshore here from the experts and to network with local divers.

If & when you do decide to dive offshore here make sure theres a USCG licensed captain and a active divemaster onboard thats familiar with reef/reck and conditions here. Also make sure the operation is insured & equited for safe diving.

Georgia Diving Video.....

http://www.gpb.org/streaming/episodes/gaout_021004-h.asx

seatiger:
Scubachick

We're usually open at 3pm to 7pm during the week and 10am to 8pm on Sat. Join our group the Blackbeard's Scuba Club this Friday upstairs at the Pirate's House on Broughton street. NOAA Gray's Reef manager Greg Mcfal will be giving a presentation on Grays Reef for our local scuba club. We have the upstairs reserved and everyone is welcome even the non-divers at no charge. Its a good chance to hear and see whats offshore here from the experts and to network with local divers.

Thanks! I had heard about the Blackbeard's meeting & am planning on going. Looking forward to it.

SeaTiger,

What time is the meeting?

I'll be coming through Savannah on my way back home from the Gainesville, FL area.

I'd love to be able to attend if the time is right.

the K

Oop's sorry Folks. The meeting Begins at 7PM This Friday night April 7 upstairs at the Pirates House on Broughton street in Savannah. The club president Ryan Johnson should be back from the caribbean soon and I'm sure he will be posting more details.

Kraken: Several of us from the shop dove Gray's yesterday and the viz was fair 20' at high tide. Saw tons of fish. The water is still a little cool @ 61 degrees on the bottom. However that will be warming quickly in the weeks to come. We will have to get you and your wife out there for a dive soon.

Thanks, S/P . . .

I'd really like to be able to do it out of the Savannah area. We both love Savannah.

It would make for a wonderful weekend.

the K

Scuba-Market USA or anyone,

This summer, I have made my ultimate goal, that is to dive in Gray's reef! I am curious if scuba-market usa do provide a charter to go to the Gray's reef and if so, when do you take divers out? I couldn't make it to your meetings because I live too far.

Let me know and thanks in advance!

ScubaJW

Yes we charter on occasion but our trips our usually filled with our shop customers/locals when I do do go out. One of my shop divemaster's is working on his OUPV now so we can get out there more often.
Try Capt Terry with TLC Charters. He's the only other experienced "dive charter" that I'm aware of in the area. It's a 20 mile + ride offshore to most dive sites here so be careful who you choose.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom