Save-A-Dive for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a pretty good save-a-dive kit that i use for local diving. I'm going to Cozumel in November and need suggestions for the kinds of things I should take with me. I read thru lots of posts for Save-A-dive kits, but missed any that may have been for stripped down travel versions.

Any suggestions?

Juls

but unless you desperately need to save a tiny amount of space in your suitcase, I would take the Save-a-Dive kit as is. If you remove anything for travel, that will be the one thing that someone on the boat will need, and you will feel like a dork. Also, if you keep the kit as is, then you won't forget to reload when you return.

There are plenty of dive shops on the island, so if something does go wrong (minor) with your gear, then the worst you would lose (hopefully) would be one set of dives. However, bring the kit and the dive you save could be yours!

We all assume that you have the standard stuff in your kit, and there shouldn't be anything special needed for diving in Coz. Make sure that you have o-rings for the tanks real easy to get to, because those tanks get a LOT of use, and that would be the one thing that you might want to replace just for the halibut.

Wristshot

You folks have not seen the size of their Save-a-dive kit. I have tool boxes smaller.
:D
Take with you:
4-6 o-rings, 1 strap for each set of fins for you and Steve. 1 Mask strap for both of you. Nice SMALL waterproof container should get you through. After all it is to save a dive not an entire vacation. You can always pick up something that you need to replace at a shop when you get back in to shore.
Just my 0.02

In keeping with the other thread titled I'm so lazy.....

I just use the DM's save a dive kit, then tip him.

Any decent boat in Cozumel will have tank o-rings and unless it's an open boat style 6 pack, they will probably have a spare mask, a set of fins, and a spare regulator set.

My save-a-dive-kit is a couple of tie wraps, a couple of rubber bands, and snorkel keepers that I hand out to other divers to secure their loose gear. Takes up almost no room.

If you need something more than the above, it's not your day and you should be skipping the next dive anyway!
:)

edited to add: I also use a $2 ball compass from Walmart as a zipper pull on my gear bag. Several times I've loaned it to divers that needed a compass. Works fine to >100'.

Back
Top Bottom