Save-A-Dive for Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acahir

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've read through several threads (building, pinned mega, more building, old travel thread, travel tool kits) on save-a-dive kits, and to give something back I thought I'd share what I came up with for traveling.

This is designed mostly for travel to warm water destinations for open circuit recreational diving with access to shore/resort/dive shop, not a live aboard. Most is fairly general purpose, but there are a few items/choices specific to my equipment/situation.

It's also designed so that it can either be checked or carried on (small tools, no Li batteries), though I usually check it with my scuba gear.

IMG_6168.jpg

Items:
  • Pelican M50 Micro Case (8"x5.5"x3")
  • Travel Pill Organizer
    • Standard Scuba o-rings (003, 010, 011, 012, 014, 112)
    • Equipment Specific o-rings (flashlights, computer QD, computer battery)
    • Port plugs
    • Batteries (marker lights, transmitter)
    • Replacement Air Spool
  • Din to Yoke converter
  • XS Scuba Star Tool
  • Nylon o-ring pick
  • Nail Clippers
  • 8" & 6" Velcro Ties
  • Zip Ties
  • Port Plug Allen Key (redundant but came with reg so threw it in)
  • O-Ring chart (actual size with reference table)
  • Spare Bundle, rolled from inside out and held with Velcro ties:
    • Spare mouthpiece
    • Spare Fin Strap
    • Spare Mask Strap
  • Spare Fin Buckle (never needed in 1k+ dives, prob a waste, but 3 of 4 ppl have same fins)
  • Computer Battery (didn't fit in pill case)
  • Silicon Lube
  • Spare Clips (1 each hose, double ender, bolt snap)
  • Snorkle Keepers
  • small combo phillips/slotted screwdriver (not pictured)
Other items considered, but so far not added:
  • 4 or 5" Knipex or other small adjustable wrench - so far relying on the star
  • Multitool - Looked at several, ordered a Trident, but ended up returning
  • Rope/Paracord - I'd just take some off my reel or use a zip tie
  • DIN/Yoke adapter & 8mm/5/16" hex - Not relevant for me and didn't have one handy
    • Side note: why do NONE of the scuba multitools include that hex key?!?
I also always have a second Mask in my dive bag, though I don't carry it it on dives. This kit is usually in my dry bag, though could be in my mesh boat bag too as it's sealed.

IMG_6167.jpg

Your kit is very efficient beautiful, I might go find mine and take a photo

I've read through several threads (building, pinned mega, more building, old travel thread, travel tool kits) on save-a-dive kits, and to give something back I thought I'd share what I came up with for traveling.

This is designed mostly for travel to warm water destinations for open circuit recreational diving with access to shore/resort/dive shop, not a live aboard. Most is fairly general purpose, but there are a few items/choices specific to my equipment/situation.

It's also designed so that it can either be checked or carried on (small tools, no Li batteries), though I usually check it with my scuba gear.

View attachment 768699

Items:
  • Pelican M50 Micro Case (8"x5.5"x3")
  • Travel Pill Organizer
    • Standard Scuba o-rings (003, 010, 011, 012, 014, 112)
    • Equipment Specific o-rings (flashlights, computer QD, computer battery)
    • Port plugs
    • Batteries (marker lights, transmitter)
  • Din to Yoke converter
  • XS Scuba Star Tool
  • Nylon o-ring pick
  • Nail Clippers
  • 8" & 6" Velcro Ties
  • Zip Ties
  • Port Plug Allen Key (redundant but came with reg so threw it in)
  • O-Ring chart (actual size with reference table)
  • Spare Bundle, rolled from inside out and held with Velcro ties:
    • Spare mouthpiece
    • Spare Fin Strap
    • Spare Mask Strap
  • Spare Fin Buckle (never needed in 1k+ dives, prob a waste, but 3 of 4 ppl have same fins)
  • Computer Battery (didn't fit in pill case)
  • Silicon Lube
  • Spare Clips (1 each hose, double ender, bolt snap)
  • Snorkle Keepers
  • small combo phillips/slotted screwdriver (not pictured)
Other items considered, but so far not added:
  • 4 or 5" Knipex or other small adjustable wrench - so far relying on the star
  • Multitool - Looked at several, ordered a Trident, but ended up returning
  • Rope/Paracord - I'd just take some off my reel or use a zip tie
  • DIN/Yoke adapter & 8mm/5/16" hex - Not relevant for me and didn't have one handy
    • Side note: why do NONE of the scuba multitools include that hex key?!?
I also always have a second Mask in my dive bag, though I don't carry it it on dives. This kit is usually in my dry bag, though could be in my mesh boat bag too as it's sealed.

View attachment 768698
I really like the O-ring chart. I never would have thought of that. Thanks.

The nail clippers are a great idea also.

I like what you’ve got going here. I struggle with taking too much on such trips. Can I ask where you got the o-ring chart from? I outlined my o-rings, but it’s not great, lol.

Erik

Nice job. Don't go to Mexico with that multi-tool, though. They'll take it on the way back. At least they have for me every time.

I miss my stainless steel shorty wide mouth adjustable wrench... sigh...

For those who are not familiar, the o-ring sizes that are displayed in your photo are standard o-ring "dash" numbers. You can even see the OP has them labelled as -003, -010, etc.

You can buy o-rings directly from o-ring manufacturers. They cost a few pennies for each o-ring.

Question: for warm water recreational diving at a resort with an onsite dive shop that I'll be diving with--should I need to worry about a save a dive kit? I would think they'd be able to help servicing things should something go wrong, but I'm not really sure as I've always rented in the past but will be schlepping my own gear this trip.

Question: for warm water recreational diving at a resort with an onsite dive shop that I'll be diving with--should I need to worry about a save a dive kit?

Depends on the dive shop. I've been on boats where the staff didn't even carry spare o-rings.

I wouldn't want to take any chances -- after spending thousands on the trip -- to miss a dive because of a 5 cent o-ring. A SAD kit is targeted at on-boat resolution. Major issues (e.g., internal to a regulator) I would hope the shop can deal with (although some even bring a spare regulator).

While not dive-ending, I like a bit of bungee (2mm-ish), especially if renting. A quick loop will corral the inflator where it's easily accessed. Secure a problematic DSMB, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom