Tool Bag and Individual Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been looking at the various multi-tools for a save-a-dive kit but it seems like there are either one off tools missing or I can envision the thing not being ideal from space crowding reasons. It would be nice to have a compact asset that stows easy, but I've always been a fan of individual tools. So I was thinking about getting a roll up bag style tool holder and piecing together everything that I want. Something like this:

So, I'm looking for a sanity check on what I can and should have in that bag. This would be solely for tools and would basically be a bag within a bag with other dive save stuff like defog, spare mask and fin straps, yoke to DIN convertor, dive tables etc.

The bag above says it has 10 pockets, but they are stretch pockets, so I assume like items could go in one pocket. Of course there's a finite amount of space so I don't want every tool imaginable in the thing, just what covers me on a trip.

These are the tools I was thinking so far. If I'm missing anything major or recommended, please give your 2 cents. Thanks in advance 🙂

- Fixed spanners for hoses
(1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8” & 11/16”???)
- Flat-head screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
- Hex key set (1/4", 3/16", 5/32")
- Inflator Schrader valve tool
- 2nd stage reg adjustment tool
- Tank hand wheel nut tool
- Allen key for Yoke to DIN?
- Brass O-ring pick
- Spare O-ring kit
- Silicone grease
- Zip ties

I've been looking at the various multi-tools for a save-a-dive kit but it seems like there are either one off tools missing or I can envision the thing not being ideal from space crowding reasons. It would be nice to have a compact asset that stows easy, but I've always been a fan of individual tools. So I was thinking about getting a roll up bag style tool holder and piecing together everything that I want. Something like this:

So, I'm looking for a sanity check on what I can and should have in that bag. This would be solely for tools and would basically be a bag within a bag with other dive save stuff like defog, spare mask and fin straps, yoke to DIN convertor, dive tables etc.

The bag above says it has 10 pockets, but they are stretch pockets, so I assume like items could go in one pocket. Of course there's a finite amount of space so I don't want every tool imaginable in the thing, just what covers me on a trip.

These are the tools I was thinking so far. If I'm missing anything major or recommended, please give your 2 cents. Thanks in advance 🙂

- Fixed spanners for hoses
(1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8” & 11/16”???)
- Flat-head screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
- Hex key set (1/4", 3/16", 5/32")
- Inflator Schrader valve tool
- 2nd stage reg adjustment tool
- Tank hand wheel nut tool
- Allen key for Yoke to DIN?
- Brass O-ring pick
- Spare O-ring kit
- Silicone grease
- Zip ties
A couple hair ties (surprisingly useful for random things even if you don't have long hair)

HP and LP plugs for a first stage, simply because takes up practically no room and provide a last ditch backup option to avoid needing to abort dives (if and only if there are sufficient redundancies that the dive remains safe of course...) if a hose is leaking or questionable.
(A HP button guage is fragile but depending upon one's set up may be worth considering having as a backup gauge if HP hose going to gauge has an issue... I have only had HP hose start unexpectedly leaking bubbles once, but were it not for my having a spare setup that would have prevented a day of diving...).

8SWCB 8-INCH CODE BLUE® WIDEAZZ® SLIM JAW ADJUSTABLE WRENCH
1673918900125.png

They make 6 inch too...🔧

I'm a big fan of Knipex. I have multiple pairs of their pliers at work and love these in lue of standard adjustable wrenches. I keep a 5" in my save a dive kit along with a reg crescent. I'll add a 2nd to replace the crescent when I feel like not being cheap.

KNIPEX Tools 86 03 125, 5-Inch Mini Pliers Wrench https://a.co/d/9YEqo8y

I'm a big fan of Knipex. I have multiple pairs of their pliers at work and love these in lue of standard adjustable wrenches. I keep a 5" in my save a dive kit along with a reg crescent. I'll add a 2nd to replace the crescent when I feel like not being cheap.

Love my knipex tools.

I too prefer an adjustable wrench, thin-jaw is often necessary, but Stainless Steel is really preferable!
You need two wrenches for some things, like removing the HP hose for a SPG, or the LP hose from a regulator. Multiple hex wrenches, flat-blade and Phillips screwdrivers large and small, a Schrader valve tool, small ingition pliers the special tool to rebuild/change o-rings in a standard inflator. Depending on your computer, the tool for changing a battery. Tie wraps, silicone hair bands, some parachute cord and cave line, small lighter, EMT shears, picks, tank handwheel nut tool, compact IP gauge, maybe o-ring guide tools, silicone self-sealing "rescue" tape. Nice-to-have: Knipex Pliers Wrench.

I like the thin profile and parallel surfaces. I'd like to see that in action. Are you thinking of that in lieu of the fixed spanners? Maybe have two, one to hold the reg side in place and torque with the hose side.

I'll take some pics tomorrow of what I have in my box at work. I can sneak out and put it up to my regs in a bit.

If you ever plan to take your save-a-dive kit in a carry-on bag flying in the US, per TSA any tool greater than 7" can't be carried on and has to be in checked luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom