Save-A Dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before I started this thread I did a search and didn't much directly related to "save a dive." Upon further searching I find that much has been posted on this subject. Sorry about that.

Quite alright. Much has been posted on everything.

I have used my save-a-dive kits many times- fin straps, mask straps, o rings, mouthpiece, reg and hose changes. And almost every time it is for someone else. Of course the rule of "you can use it, but if mine breaks, I get it back" applies. I have o-rings, ties, wrenches, screwdrivers, picks, mask and fin straps, snorkel holder, lube, bungies, aquaseal, mouthpiece, pencils, chapstick, tank light, etc. All fits in a 6 inch x 4 x 4 Otter box- tightly. I also have a smaller second one for my camera equipment with ll the requires specialized items. Lastly, I usually have a couple of extra hoses, and if going somewhere somewhat remote, a second reg set.

Just last night in the pool helping a class, had to change out a regulator for one of the students and replace my tank o-ring.

I have been made fun of several times- on a boat in Curacao, a bunch of my friends started razzing me about it, calling me anal. On that day and the next day, a fin strap and a mask strap broke for other divers. Funny, they stopped teasing me....

Terry

PS- I also carry a 2 foot piece of 3/16" poly rope tucked into a corner of my BC pocket. Only pulled it out once- my buddy, at depth, had clip issues with a fin and it wouldn't stay clipped. Tied off the rope around the clips on each side and around the heel, and while not pretty, we completed the dive.

I'm paranoid so I keep full set of o-rings for pretty much everything (LP hoses, HP hoses, HP spindle, yoke, DIN o-rings, etc). O-rings are small and don't take up a lot of space and can really save a dive.

DIN valve insert (for thermo valves to switch between yoke/din regulators)
Extra mask
O-ring picks
IP gauge (a definite)
Allen wrenches/thin crescent wrenches
Extra first stage/extra second stage (have saved a lot of dives for other people)
Bolt snaps (you can never have enough of these)
2-5ft of bungee cord
Zipties
Port plugs (HP and LP ports)
Triglides

As someone has already observed, it depends a great deal on what you feel comfortable dealing with on the deck of a boat. I think having some spare tank or DIN o-rings (whichever you use) is totally worthwhile. Anybody can replace those. Having a wrench that will allow you to tighten a connection seems pretty basic, as well. (We DO like our stainless steel scuba tool, which has a lot of other functionality as well.) Many things can be fixed with zipties, thin bungie, cave line and Gorilla tape. I don't carry a spare mouthpiece, but I do monitor mine fairly frequently, after having been embarrassed during my Full Cave class by handing my regulator to my instructor, and having HIM tell me it was nearly chewed through. :) If you use standard mask straps and fin straps, having those occupies little space, and they DO break.

Setting yourself the space limitations of a mask box is a good idea -- as you can see from a lot of the posts here, a SAD kit can grow to amazing proportions. But Tobin George, the owner of Deep Sea Supply, occupies a special place in the universe of save-a-dive kit makers. He carries a portable WELDING torch!

Last edited:
An overall save a dive kit is as much as you would like to put in it. One thing I always keep with me is a few common o-rings.
The skinny AL80 tank valve o-rings. The fatter tank valve o-rings for din or inserts on the 3442 psi tanks. Just this last weekend I
for only the second time in many dives had the spool valve o-rings on my spg start leaking pretty bad. Was able to remove hose and
spool valve and reinstall dislodged o-ring. (I replaced these later).These are very tiny o-rings but will add a few of these to what I
keep with me.

A lot has been mentioned already, but I haven't seen a spare power inflator mentioned. If it has, sorry. I had one go right before a trip that I luckily caught beforehand.

i use a fishing lure box that has spares for everything I could think of, I'm on the verge of upgrading to a larger box.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom