Scalloping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpencerJackson

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello everybody, I want to go scalloping---does anybody have any locations/GPS numbers for the beds?

Just head out of the Homosassa river till you get out into the grass flats (I believe its around marker 10). then just drift around and start looking. I don't have any numbers but I'll be out there this coming weekend so I'll take the GPS with me and get some. Just be careful of the rocks though, that whole area is notorius for eating hulls and lower units!

SpencerJackson:
Hello everybody, I want to go scalloping---does anybody have any locations/GPS numbers for the beds?
Yeah, I took the kid and my wife out the homosassa river to marker 6 and then north west 2-3 miles. you will see boats out there. you gotta look around a little. Some spots better than others. we did best in 8-9 feet and caught our limit-a pint shucked each both times we went-last weekend and 3 wks ago. It was a lot of fun just schnorkling around and found stars and such. Look for grass beds. grass is tall. Lots of boats to the south of the channel as well. The last day we went there were 200 boats out there within sight but not crowded. kk

You don't need GPS numbers to find scallops - just look for all the boats, move a safe distance from one, and start looking.

Seriously.

I had the best luck right at the spots where the grass meets the sandy bottom.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom