Scapa Flow fatality - Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver dies in Scapa Flow incident - The Orcadian Online
POLICE have confirmed that a man died in a diving incident in Scapa Flow earlier today, Wednesday.

HM Coastguard co-ordinated the search for the diver, who went missing south-east of Houton Head, around midday.

Stromness and Longhope lifeboats, a Coastguard helicopter from Stornoway, Stromness Coastguard Rescue Team, and a dive vessel were all sent to search for the diver.

A police spokesperson added: “A multi-agency search operation began and the body of a man was recovered a short time later.

“A formal identification has still to take place and enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances of the incident.”

No further information will be provided until next of kin is informed.

Various media reports say he was diving the SMS Markgraf. This is a battleship, 175 x 30 metres in size. It now lies upsidedown at a depth of over 40 metres, I reached 43 on my two dives on her. In my view it is the best wreck in Scapa Flow. Due to the depth, relatively poor visibility, cold water (max 11C) and other factors, it is of course not a dive for the inexperienced.

Sorry to hear of this tragedy.

Various media reports say he was diving the SMS Markgraf.
It may not be available for diving for long. "In 2019, the three battleships Markgraf, König and Kronprinz Wilhelm were sold on eBay (by the retiring diving contractor Tommy Clark) for £25,500 each to a Middle Eastern company." Scuttling of the German fleet at Scapa Flow - Wikipedia

The steel is more valuable today as a source for Low Background steel since it was produced before the first atomic bomb. The history of how much of the German fleet was scuttled there continues to amaze me.

DandyDon, I doubt if the UK Government would permit any further salvage. Also, I should add that a long time ago, the owner of the salvage to the SS President Coolidge in Vanuatu offered to sell the rights to me. I really should have accepted and then charged each person a nominal amount and provided a "licence" to each diver. Too late now as I am sure he is now dead.

DandyDon, I doubt if the UK Government would permit any further salvage. Also, I should add that a long time ago, the owner of the salvage to the SS President Coolidge in Vanuatu offered to sell the rights to me. I really should have accepted and then charged each person a nominal amount and provided a "licence" to each diver. Too late now as I am sure he is now dead.

@clownfishsydney, you are correct, they are protected sites.

Since 2001, the remains of three battleships and four cruisers of the German High Seas Fleet scuttled in Scapa Flow in 1919 have been protected as scheduled monuments.

This means that visitors can dive on the wrecks as long as no damage occurs or objects are removed.​

sometimes the hardest thing is to see an opportunity when its presented to you -only hindsight allows us to kick ourselves

BrooklynBridge_HamparianOpEd-e1589839318493.jpg

Markgraf lies on its port side!
Konig is up side down.

Markgraf lies on its port side!
Konig is up side down.
Unless there has been a huge earthquake in the past few years, it is upsidedown, with the starboard side a little off the bottom.

Click here to see an interactive 3D diagram of it. Markgraf 3D Shipwreck Tour | Scapa Flow Wrecks.

All the battleships are upsidedown due to the weight of the guns etc rolling them over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom