Scuba Accident Sept, 1978, Cayman Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lived on Grand Cayman in 1978 & do not recall this. Bert Wilcher lived there too in 1978, maybe he recalls.

Does anyone know if there is a way to find the details about a scuba accident in the Cayman Islands in Sept 1978, where a young girl died? Here's what I know: she was from Minneapolis, MN. Her first name was Michelle or Shelley. I don't know her last name. She was very pretty, blond, age 21 to 24 in 1978. She was the daughter of my mother's second cousin. I met this girl just one time, three months before her accident. I checked the Cayman Islands General Registry and they said that they could not help. I would like to find her last name or newspaper article, or any other details about the accident.
Do you know anything more specifically about her life in Minneapolis, like what part of Minneapolis (and definitely Minneapolis, or a suburb)? Did she go to high school in Minnesota?

I am doing an archive search of the Minneapolis newspaper. Scuba Center in Minneapolis is in business now, and was in 1978, according to the Want Ads. If you don't mind calling, you could try asking them in case they have anyone who dates back that far: (612) 925-4818. It's not like there are a million divers in Minnesota, and less so in 1978, so there's a chance someone there might remember. I realize that's a long shot though (I hoped my archive search would be more fruitful).

Does anyone know if there is a way to find the details about a scuba accident in the Cayman Islands in Sept 1978, where a young girl died? Here's what I know: she was from Minneapolis, MN. Her first name was Michelle or Shelley. I don't know her last name. She was very pretty, blond, age 21 to 24 in 1978. She was the daughter of my mother's second cousin. I met this girl just one time, three months before her accident. I checked the Cayman Islands General Registry and they said that they could not help. I would like to find her last name or newspaper article, or any other details about the accident.
You might want to try Suzy Soto. She and her late husband Bob Soto, lived on the island for decades. Bob was THE pioneer of scuba diving in Grand Cayman and Suzy lives there today and runs a couple of businesses. She may know about the incident you're asking about. Bei Facebook anmelden

Back
Top Bottom