SCUBA - An inherently dangerous activity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not saying I agree or disagree with the comments made on this topic of discussion but I would be interested in hearing the reasons for the comments a little more in depth.

Genesis does a good job of relaying exactly his position on any given topic and the thought process that went into it. I see others answer with short one liners both for and against but no reason as to why. Please feel free to elaborate.

I am particularly interested in exactly what is it that we as SCUBA divers fear about any sort of statute or government involvement with the sport? Uncle Pug? Mech? Please assist me in understanding what it is we need to fear. I would like very much to understand this from all sides.

I am in business and am by no means for big government but sometimes there is no choice and it does have it's place.

i would rather not sign and initial in 22 spots a 12 page document everytime I need to get a little air. what a pain!

What I'm promoting is actually the barring of the government's involvement (the legal system, specifically) in scuba activity, by defining participation in same as a purely voluntary activity with knowing acceptance of the risks inherent in it.

I am amazed that a couple of folks here would actually argue for MORE government involvement. Then again, those are the same folks who think that self-determination of what is and is not acceptable risk should have the right to impose their determination on others, right?

I'd expect those who claim the title of "regulator", at least, to have the "horse sense" to actually READ the proposal.

Scott M:
I am particularly interested in exactly what is it that we as SCUBA divers fear about any sort of statute or government involvement with the sport?
I don't what business you are in.. perhaps your business is one of those that benefits from the excessive bureaucracy that is choking the life out of the rest of us!

Uncle Pug:
I don't what business you are in.. perhaps your business is one of those that benefits from the excessive bureaucracy that is choking the life out of the rest of us!

Pug, would you please read the damn proposal before slamming it?!

Your claim that this constitutes increased regulation is pure horsehockey. It is no such thing.

It is a codification that liability releases, if presented in a standard form, are 100% sufficient to insulate any commercial operation from lawsuits.

This removes all the BS about needing to see "cards", it stops "card selling", and it dramatically reduces the risk of litigation for dive shops, boat operators, and others in the industry.

It leaves industry people only with product liability concerns (e.g. true defects, air not in conformance with published Grade "E" standards, etc) and concern for intentional acts. Beyond that, it serves to provide an absolute liability shield, codified in the law.

It creates no new government regulation, and will dramatically lower shop and charter operator exposure, shifting responsibility for one's diving where it belongs - to the diver!

Exactly why do you oppose this Pug?

DEFINING SOMETHING <OUT> OF THE LAW DOES NOT CREATE REGULATION! IT REMOVES IT!

Uncle Pug:
Actually the intent of my post on this subject was to try and extract as much information about the subject as I could due to the fact that as a diver I do not have an indepth knowledge base of what it is we need to steer clear of or embrass as the case may be. I was looking for the thought process of some the members of the board I respect the opinions of, you being one of them.

For what it is worth my business has both suffered and benefitted from government intervention.

Defining Scuba Diving as an inherently dangerous activity by statute literally throws it into the arena of things Big Brother wants to protect us from.

I understand what you want to accomplish but this would backfire horribly.

You're smart... I can't believe that you think this is the way to go about it.

You already have folks right here in this thread saying, "Yeah, lets get Gov'ment involved!" and you think that when little Johnny gets the snot bent out of him and can't sue somebody there won't end up being a *Johnny's Law* to regulate away the chance of anyone getting bent again in the inherently hazardous activity of scuba diving?

OK.... sorry.... breath... breath... breath... arrrrgggg....
Relaxing now... breath... breath...

Sorry for getting excitable... it is inevitable... we're overdue afterall. It's well past 1984

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom