SCUBA DIVING and the Shooting Sports.

Do like scuba diving and guns?

• Guns are evil and I would never go near one.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I love diving but could care less about the shooting sports

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Scuba is my number one hobby, but I like shooting.

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • Scuba and Guns: Perfect together!

Votes: 41 44.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think some of your listeners need to take off their PC antenna hats and stop watching CNN exclusively.

Joe, you clearly need another trip to cave country, especially up to Marianna area..... Over 80% of the people I meet are into one or usually more of the following

Scuba
Skydiving
Engineering
Planes
Shooting

Doesn't mean they're aggressive people, but most of them are alpha males and we tend to be pretty similar, many of which have military backgrounds, you obviously included. People who think guns aren't peaceful have clearly never sat in the beauty of nature while hunting.... Frankly hunting is much better for all involved than buying meat from the grocery store anyway, or shooting a fish out of the ocean instead of farming, so I'd chalk that comment up to an ignorant fool and move on :-D

That said, depending on what they watch, there is a huge difference in people that are preppers and go a little overboard imho, and those that peacefully enjoy shooting sports, hunting, etc. I.e. watch the Prepper shows on whatever channel they're on, and if that's all you've seen, I can see how people would think that gun owners are aggressive nutjobs. On the other side, you can watch something like Duck Dynasty, where everyone while a little weird, are all very peaceful and enjoy nature etc. etc. Completely different points of view on the matter, unfortunately people get their perspectives skewed from the minority of wackjobs in this country and the rest of us that peacefully enjoy making things explode or eating tasty critters as they were meant to taste like get lumped into that.

Regarding the AR's, they clearly don't realize that they are big boy tinker toys, and similar to scuba, especially technical, half the fun of them is playing with them and tweaking things to get them just how you want them because off-the-shelf is never good enough :-D

As you mentioned, the person you quoted has clearly never been on a boat with hunters. It's very common in FL and CA to be on a boat with hunters. That too might burst the bubble they're living in.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is definitely a culture thing. I was lucky for a city kid, in that I would spend my summers in South Jersey with my Uncle Lou who taught me fishing, camping, hunting and shooting.

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2015 at 01:44 PM ----------

Guns are not allowed in my country for ordinary people. I use a compound bow instead.
I have a good friend and cave diving buddy who is Bow Hunter. He has nerves of steel.

What I find more disturbing are divers that are not conscious or caring about aquatic environments.

<Um....see avatar

That's a G17L

There are a lot of kelp-huggers in this forum, but there are a number of well-rounded divers out there. Your post is a testament to that.

With the price of ammo gone crazy, I have set aside my biweekly shooting foray. I reload and still can't justify it (got a kid going to college). Gone are the days of doing drills with 500 rds.
I have built a few ARs and FALs, pretty much all safe queens now. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom