Scuba friendly sunscreen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How bad is normal sunscreen for damaging reefs? You'd have to figure the ocean is so vast it would disperse it and thin it out so it would hardly have any impact. But I'm curious for more exact data--the reefs are in so much trouble already.

How bad is normal sunscreen for damaging reefs? You'd have to figure the ocean is so vast it would disperse it and thin it out so it would hardly have any impact. But I'm curious for more exact data--the reefs are in so much trouble already.
Did you read the Natl Geo article linked above...?
I don't know about keeping it from running into your eyes, but you should use an eco-friendly one. Chemicals in sunscreen kill reefs. Swimmers' Sunscreen Killing Off Coral

The organic ones tend to be thicker, and harder to find, but it's worth the extra effort to know I'm not destroying the very reef that I'm admiring. :)
Excerpting from that article...
Even low levels of sunscreen, at or below the typical amount used by swimmers, could activate the algae viruses and completely bleach coral in just four days, the results showed.

As a former lifeguard and avid SoCal diver, I've tried a number of different sunscreens... most with less than satisfying results. The one I've chosen is also one of the recommended products in the link Bob provided. Soleo has been amazing... I apply it in the morning when I go out on the dive boat, do three or four dives, and feel I am still protected as we head back to town. I have been very impressed with this product and it is now the only one I use.

I have tended to think your way, so I have done some research in the last few days. First off, there is a ton of conflicting data but the one piece of information that would make sense, is how the chemical starts a chain reaction in the coral. It doesn't take quantity of the chemical, but once the algae found in the coral starts to release itself, it continues unabated. This is when the coral gets bleached. But, I have also read that warming waters can do the same thing.

At the end of the day, the most frustrating thing for me is, the lack of recommended products from these study groups. If in fact sunscreen is causing bleaching I would be as concerned about beach goers as scuba divers. Someone on here recommended cactus juice but I am afraid it has a chemical in it (peridan) which was on of four chemicals found in all offending sunscreens.
I also read that absorbing type sunscreens are a problem vs reflective and then I read about this great company and how their sunscreen is absorbing. So now I am totally confused and frustrated. IF these sunscreens are causing problems it would be nice to know for sure, what sunscreen is truly safe to use and doesn't cost $5.00 for 2 ounces.

Johnny,
I'm both a cancer researcher and a melanoma patient. I've had 2 thin melanomas (>95% chance they're cured) and several other severely atypical moles removed. If you need any information or just want to talk to someone who's been there, send me a PM.

Hats and shade avoid the direct sun but you get a lot of UV reflection off the water. I use a SPF 50 minimum and the only one of these "eco friendly" brands I saw that goes that high is the Mexitan. I'll give it a try as don't really want to contribute to reef degradation but on the surface the evidence doesn't look really convincing.

Note that most of the rash guards are also less than SPF 30.

Nova I appreciate your position and wish you the best. Thanks for reminding that the sun reflects off of the water too. I often forget that.

But SPF 30 sounds like a lot for most...?

Unless you're olive skinned or darker, I don't think 30 is enough. But ask your dermatologist.
:hmmm: My niece& nephew are redheaded in a farm family so we learned a lot of new procedures with them. My daughter & grandkids are blond. Can't keep hats on any of them but we keep sunblock handy and use it enough to avoid burning usually. Just picked up tubes of Spf 30 for 3 vehicles at the Dollar Store.

Thot maybe I had misunderstood what Spf was, so looked - see below. The organic sunblock/non-Deet repellent I carry on boat is Spf 15, altho I rarely use any. Don't burn easily; hardly ever used it when I farmed & ran cattle, altho I probly should have more.

What is SPF?

SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. The number is determined experimentally indoors by exposing human subjects to a light spectrum meant to mimic noontime sun. Some subjects wear sunscreen and others do not. The amount of light that induces redness in sunscreen-protected skin, divided by the amount of light that induces redness in unprotected skin is the SPF. It is mainly a measure of UVB protection and ranges from 1 to 45 or above.

A sunscreen with an SPF of 15 filters 92% of the UVB. Put another way, a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 will delay the onset of a sunburn in a person who would otherwise burn in 10 minutes to burn in 150 minutes. The SPF 15 sunscreen allows a person to stay out in the sun 15 times longer.

There is currently no uniform measure of UVA absorption. There are broad-spectrum sunscreens that protect against UVA and UVB radiation although it is important to remember that the SPF does not predict UVA protection. The UV Index is a public health education tool reported by meteorologists in 58 U.S. cities. It offers a daily report of UV light levels on a scale from 1-10+.

The "protectiveness" of clothing can also be measured by SPF. The following are SPF's of various types of clothing:

Nylon Stockings - SPF 2
Hats - SPF 3-6 <I don't know where they get that silly number? )
Summer-weight clothing - SPF 6.5

I had mask leakage once, and think it was due to sunscreen, so now I go the hat route. Anyone else figure they have a mask sealing problem from sunscreen?

During my OW dives, my mask was leaking constantly. I have difficulty clearing my mask, so the leakage led to me burning through a lot of air trying to get the water out. After discussing it with my wife (who AOW), we determined it must have been the sunscreen. I stopped putting sunscreen on and no more leakage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom